Skip to main content

Joy- New Year!

You Are '16 Going On '17: The First Thoughts of the New Year

The Saitama Sky

あけましておめでとうございます!皆んなさん、久しぶりだね?この四ヶ月に、本当にいっぱい事が有ったー楽しい事、面白い事、嬉しい事、悲しい事、全部も経験した。この新年、何の冒険があるかなー?

Happy New Year everyone! It's been a while, but what a while it's been – it's a little difficult to believe that four months have zipped by, and that the buds of 2017 are slowly opening, but the months ahead promise to be filled with light and laughter. The pocket of time since my last post has been packed with adventures, ranging from my first solo Japanese flight, a shot at playing taiko, numerous failed attempts at making okonomiyaki and a number of successes at making Hainanese chicken rice, a slew of temporary host families and a shift to Yokohama.

My farewell card, also known as the board that launched a thousand tears

Saying goodbye to 2016 was tied up with saying goodbye to Saitama – a place which had, rather unsuspectingly, become home to me in the short span of a few months. Even though I had always been prepared for the day I would have to move, parting was far from easy. Somewhere along the way, the Hippo Families I had been adopted into became my real families, and I acquired a parade of moms, dads, and siblings that I looked forward to seeing every week. The more rational part of me scoffed at how weepy I was getting from just moving two hours away, but somehow the idea of not seeing the same familiar faces week after week was a little hard to bear.

But! As each of my Family members ended up saying to me: また会える!I trust that we'll be able to meet again, be it in a few days, a few weeks, or a few months – as we unfold into 2017, another nine months lie ahead of me. What will come next? Who will I meet? What new families will I end up a part of? Will I end up crying again when I have to move? (The answer is: probably.) However, no matter where I land, one thing is certain: the connections remain, and the thousands of threads connecting me from person to person will lead me to them over and over again – somehow, someway.

Today marks the first day of work in 2017, and the 9th day since my move to Yokohama – a place that has welcomed me with warmth and open arms. My host family has been nothing but kind, and I couldn't have been happier to usher in the new year in such good company – I am even more excited to see the Hippo Families that I will now be a part of, and the language discoveries we will get to make together.

The future ahead is blurry, specked with occasional moments of clarity – events to look forward to, people to meet – but otherwise a meandering path whose end is still unclear. As we take these first steps into the new year, I am filled with hope and anticipation –  ready for whatever and whoever 2017 will bring, and of course, in any language they appear in. 大家,我们一起加油吧!

新年快乐!May the year ahead be filled with peace and hope for everyone~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sama Otsukare!!

Sama お疲れさまですした! 韓国の文化おしえてくれて감사합니다!! Nos vemos en cualquier parte del world!👋💫 Wait for the last Sama blog very soon!  サマのラストーのブログ待って下さい!!👐 Sama,いってらっしゃい!

Michael- Arrival in Japan

Arrival In Japan What an experience! I'm Michael Gobin. I will be the 2009-2010 LEX Intern in the Tokyo Office. LEX America has been telling you a lot about me, so I won't take a lot of space on introductions. I will be contributing to this blog a couple times a month over the next year. However, my mentor here in the office is gone on a multi-country adventure for the next week, so I will be spending those days contributing more often. I'll try to paint a picture of what my first few days in Japan have been like. Even though I spent 14 hours on a plane headed to Japan. It wasn't until I took those first steps off the plane that it hit me like I walked through a curtain that I was in Japan. First of all, it was immediately warmer. Kana went from being an equal language in places where it mattered, to everywhere with English only as a back-up in the important areas. Most importantly though, I became completely illiterate and that's when I knew the adventure h...

Maddie- ごちそうさま - Eating Well

ごちそうさま - Eating Well Signs advertising  shirasu , tiny fish famous in Kamakura Today I would like to discuss a topic that is near and dear to my heart...food culture. It`s well known among my friends and family--and heck, probably anyone that I`ve had a substantial conversation with--I absolutely LOVE food. I love cooking, I love eating, I love talking about food, and I love talking about food WHILE eating food...It`s a subject that I never tire of! So naturally, it makes sense that I would hold interest in Japan`s food culture. When I came back in August, I brought with me a desire to taste and learn. Not only did I hope to sample a wide variety of Japanese cuisine, but also to try my own hand at preparing a variety of dishes. Part of the requirements for my visa is some sort of cultural learning. For this reason, American interns are expected to select an aspect of Japanese culture to study. Naturally, I had selected food. In order to fulfill this requirement, I ...