Skip to main content

Maddie- The First of Many New Experiences

The First of Many New Experiences

So, what have my first weeks been like in Japan?

ABSOLUTELY BUSY! But, also...AMAZING!

Truly, it has been a busy couple of weeks here, but not overwhelmingly so. Furthermore, I`d prefer to be kept busy! Too much free time = too much thinking = homesickness. By keeping a full, fun schedule, with some relaxing and downtime, I can keep engaged with my surroundings, make new friends, and stay sane. To prevent a wall of text, let me break down for you some of my recent activities. So far, I have:


  • Presented about my life in Wisconsin to classes of middle school and elementary school students.
  • Eaten kaiten-zushi, or conveyor belt sushi. 


  • Been interviewed about my biggest surprise when I came to Japan (it`s bluntness in regards to appearance, people won`t hesitate to call someone fat, or tell you that you`ve gotten skinny since they last saw you. As I`ve seen it, it`s never been malicious, just matter-of-fact). 
Post filming. To my right is Kahye,
intern from South Korea. She asked questions
in Korean, while I answered in English.

  • Gone to two overnight camps. One at the Olympic Youth Center in Yoyogi Park (Tokyo), and another one in Saitama (2 hours away by car), in the mountains.
  • Gone shopping with my host sister in Kichijoji--a fun, youthful neighborhood by the station I use when going to work.
  • Eaten tomato ramen (Italian-style ramen).
Dat mozzarella tho

  • Had dinner in Shibuya (downtown Tokyo) with a friend from University of Wisconsin. Go Badgers!
  • Experienced an evening party at the Hippo Camp in Saitama, complete with live performances, snacks, and alcohol (the latter for legally-aged adults only). It reminded me that, "Ah, I`m not at 4-H anymore..." It`s a good reminder that various cultures and institutions have different perceptions of when it`s appropriate to imbibe. Neither is better or worse...just different!
  • Met other Hippo interns from Mexico, Taiwan, South Korea, and France!
Nancy from Taiwan and Ivan from Mexico!

  • Made ohagi, chewy rice cakes with red bean paste or roasted soy powder, with my host mom for Ohigan, a Buddhist holiday celebrated in autumn and spring. 
  • Participated in the LMP speech, a multilingual speech contest held by LEX for high school students and young adults. Participants had to use at least three languages in their presentation! I used English, Japanese, German and Spanish.

  • Tried my hand at pounding fresh mochi, a delicious, sticky, rice cake.

  • Ridden the trains and buses by myself on almost a daily basis (no big mess-ups yet, knock on wood).
  • Eaten oodles of my host mother`s amazing cooking!
  • Tried on a high school uniform costume and took purikura (fancy photobooth pictures) with a Japanese friend who studied abroad at University of Wisconsin.

  • Gone on several walks/runs around my neighborhood, getting the feel of the place. 
  • Been touched by the kindness and patience of my host family, co-workers, and Hippo members, especially in regards to my slow Japanese.

...And that`s only part of it! It`s been a lively past three weeks, but I truly enjoyed every second of it. If I ever felt grumpy or tired, I reminded myself of the amazing opportunity I am taking part of (and then I made sure I got some exercise and a good night`s rest. Nothing like an evening walk and a solid eight hours to revamp your attitude). 

Well, September is almost over...Wow! I can`t wait to see what October brings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sama Otsukare!!

Sama お疲れさまですした! 韓国の文化おしえてくれて감사합니다!! Nos vemos en cualquier parte del world!👋💫 Wait for the last Sama blog very soon!  サマのラストーのブログ待って下さい!!👐 Sama,いってらっしゃい!

こんにちはトゥーイです!From Thailand!

👋 เดือนสิงหาคม 2018  August 2018 8月 こんにちはタイからトゥーイです!✌ 今から1か月前日本に来た!とせんぶはすごい! เริ่มต้นด้วยการไป nature camp ที่นากาโนะ ได้นั่งรถไฟชินคังเซ็นเป็นครั้งแรก รู้สึกตื่นเต้นเอามากๆ พอถึงที่นากาโนะก็ต้องนั่งรถบัสต่อก่อนจะถึงที่พัก ได้มองเห็นวิวภูเขาที่ไม่เคยเห็นอีกด้วย มาแคมป์ครั้งนี้ได้เจอกับคนมากมาย ได้เพื่อนเป็นคนต่างชาติหลากหลายคนอย่างที่ไม่เคยคิดว่าจะเป็นไปได้ด้วย(ฮ่า) ที่แคมป์มีการแบ่งกลุ่มกันทำกิจกรรม ฉันได้อยู่กลุ่ม5 ทุกคนน่ารักมากๆ ใจดีกับฉัน เข้ามาคุยกับฉันทั้งๆที่ภาษาแตกต่างกัน แต่ทุกคนก็พยายามพูดภาษาอังกฤษที่ไม่ถนัด รู้สึกซาบซึ้งในใจเลย นอกจากจะได้เพื่อนแล้วยังได้ไปปีนเขา ไปปีนโขดหินตามแม่น้ำ เป็นประสบการณ์ใหม่ที่ตื่นเต้นและประทับใจสุดๆค่ะ Nature Camp make me a lot of friends. I'm happy to be everybody's friend.  And Nature Camp make me feel happy and excited when I standing in Nature. This photo, I take it while walking to park and Kenashi-Yama一番楽しかった. きれいな~!!💫 และในเดือนนี้ฉันก็ได้เริ่มทำขนมปังเองเป็นครั้งแรก(ทำกับโฮสพ่อ) เป็นขนมปังปอด์นธรรมดา และ

¡Ya me voy a mi casita en Oregon!

お母さん, お父さん お父さんがめちゃやさしい  いつもはモコサ大丈夫とかモコサ食べた? *Warning* There is too much, I mean muchisimas, things to talk about in 11 months of living in Japan. This is just a small reflection of it. (: Ya ha pasado 11 meses!! Y no me la creo que rápido pasaron. 本当にはやい。さきではめちゃたいへんとチャレンジ!だけど頑張ってるとnot give up so quickly がめちゃいい。皆さんありがとうございました、めちゃやさしとあえてうれした。一番好きことは皆のあえてた! En una a ñ o se puede aprender mucho. Pero en un ano en otro pais aprendes mucho de todo, incluso de ti mismo. Los muchachos jovenes me inspiraron en ser mas estudiosa y acabar la escuela. La gente mayor me ense ñ o en ser mas humilde y de disfrutar lo del alrededor. La gente de hippo me ense ñ o que no importa de donde seas o que idioma hables somos humanos. So with this in mind I recommend you take a moment of your time and acknowledge the people around you. Enjoy their company, listen to there stories, and learn from them. Everyone has something to teach and we can all learn from one another. Don’t be af