Skip to main content

The Intern Rangers and my Metakatsu Breakthrough

The Intern Rangers and my Metakatsu Breakthrough

Anne, Nancy and I with our Special Judges` Award
This past Sunday, two of my fellow interns, Nancy from Taiwan, Anne from France, and I participated in the 3rd LEX Multilingual Presentation as a team. The LMP is special event for young adults, ages 17-25, to give presentations about their perspectives on language, society, and culture. Along with Anne, Nancy, and I, twenty-six other contestants shared their views on these subjects. Our team was awarded the Special Judges` Prize (the judge`s choice award, bronze, silver and gold were awarded to 8 other participants), which includes a special scholarship that can be used towards participating in a LEX exchange in the future!

I was SO proud of our group for achieving this special award! I had competed in the previous LMP back in the fall, and had been mortified when my presentation went over the eight allotted minutes. Also, I had been extremely stressed about using over three languages--obsessing about word order and absolute correctness. This time however, I was able to relax, feel confident, and actually have a lot of fun!

For my part, I spoke Korean, Japanese, English, and Mandarin. Nancy used Russian, Japanese, Mandarin, English and French, and Anne used French, German, English and Japanese. By working together as a team, we were able to try out each other`s languages, and give each other help and support. Any anxiety about speaking Mandarin, a language I have zero background in, was drastically reduced as I mimicked, or did "metakatsu," of a recording of Nancy reading my part. I think because I was paying less attention to minute details, I was able to "absorb" the sound and flow of the words.  The tones and pronunciation felt natural to me, just part of the rhythm!

Fellow interns Kahye and Yeppi cheered us on!
I think this is a big breakthrough in how I perceive the language-learning method at Hippo. Of course, when one learns about Hippo we hear all about the benefits of mimicking, the "waves" and sound of language, and the brain`s innate ability to absorb it. But learning about the Hippo method is one thing--accepting and embracing it--is something else entirely.

While I`ve always considered myself open to the Hippo method, I realize now that my preconceptions of language-learning were holding me back from diving into it completely. There was always some sort of doubt that was holding me back. Perhaps it comes from society, perhaps insecurities that came from my own language-learning experience...whatever it is, it kept me teetering on the edge.

I was so proud that my sister, Risa (center),
took one of the two golds!
Let me be clear, I do not discount "traditional" language-learning methods. While my 3 years of studying Japanese in college were certainly not easy, and often stressful, I firmly believe that they provided me with a strong basis in grammar, writing, reading, and various nuances such as honorifics. In my opinion, the Japanese department at University of Wisconsin-Madison is one of the finest in the US, if not in the world. Not to mention, the amazing staff of professors and TA`s are committed to providing a rigorous, multi-faceted education for their students. I owe a LOT to their guidance and dedication. They have given me the foundation for the Japanese I use today.

That being said, there is no one perfect method of learning languages that is going to suit everybody. Classroom style did not always suit me, just as the Hippo method does not cover every base for language learning. However, they each have strong points!

Now that I`ve overcome this mental hurdle towards metakatsu, I feel that I am able to participate fully in the Hippo activities. While I happily did metakatsu at weekly clubs before, I now feel motivated to try it on my own. I don`t plan on completely abandoning conventional tools--things such as kanji practice books and my fun smartphone app for learning Mandarin will remain part of my toolbox. However, I feel that by embracing metaktasu more fully, I can enhance and round out my language learning in a fun, simple way that gives me confidence!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sama Otsukare!!

Sama お疲れさまですした! 韓国の文化おしえてくれて감사합니다!! Nos vemos en cualquier parte del world!👋💫 Wait for the last Sama blog very soon!  サマのラストーのブログ待って下さい!!👐 Sama,いってらっしゃい!

こんにちはトゥーイです!From Thailand!

👋 เดือนสิงหาคม 2018  August 2018 8月 こんにちはタイからトゥーイです!✌ 今から1か月前日本に来た!とせんぶはすごい! เริ่มต้นด้วยการไป nature camp ที่นากาโนะ ได้นั่งรถไฟชินคังเซ็นเป็นครั้งแรก รู้สึกตื่นเต้นเอามากๆ พอถึงที่นากาโนะก็ต้องนั่งรถบัสต่อก่อนจะถึงที่พัก ได้มองเห็นวิวภูเขาที่ไม่เคยเห็นอีกด้วย มาแคมป์ครั้งนี้ได้เจอกับคนมากมาย ได้เพื่อนเป็นคนต่างชาติหลากหลายคนอย่างที่ไม่เคยคิดว่าจะเป็นไปได้ด้วย(ฮ่า) ที่แคมป์มีการแบ่งกลุ่มกันทำกิจกรรม ฉันได้อยู่กลุ่ม5 ทุกคนน่ารักมากๆ ใจดีกับฉัน เข้ามาคุยกับฉันทั้งๆที่ภาษาแตกต่างกัน แต่ทุกคนก็พยายามพูดภาษาอังกฤษที่ไม่ถนัด รู้สึกซาบซึ้งในใจเลย นอกจากจะได้เพื่อนแล้วยังได้ไปปีนเขา ไปปีนโขดหินตามแม่น้ำ เป็นประสบการณ์ใหม่ที่ตื่นเต้นและประทับใจสุดๆค่ะ Nature Camp make me a lot of friends. I'm happy to be everybody's friend.  And Nature Camp make me feel happy and excited when I standing in Nature. This photo, I take it while walking to park and Kenashi-Yama一番楽しかった. きれいな~!!💫 และในเดือนนี้ฉันก็ได้เริ่มทำขนมปังเองเป็นครั้งแรก(ทำกับโฮสพ่อ) เป็นขนมปังปอด์นธรรมดา และ

¡Ya me voy a mi casita en Oregon!

お母さん, お父さん お父さんがめちゃやさしい  いつもはモコサ大丈夫とかモコサ食べた? *Warning* There is too much, I mean muchisimas, things to talk about in 11 months of living in Japan. This is just a small reflection of it. (: Ya ha pasado 11 meses!! Y no me la creo que rápido pasaron. 本当にはやい。さきではめちゃたいへんとチャレンジ!だけど頑張ってるとnot give up so quickly がめちゃいい。皆さんありがとうございました、めちゃやさしとあえてうれした。一番好きことは皆のあえてた! En una a ñ o se puede aprender mucho. Pero en un ano en otro pais aprendes mucho de todo, incluso de ti mismo. Los muchachos jovenes me inspiraron en ser mas estudiosa y acabar la escuela. La gente mayor me ense ñ o en ser mas humilde y de disfrutar lo del alrededor. La gente de hippo me ense ñ o que no importa de donde seas o que idioma hables somos humanos. So with this in mind I recommend you take a moment of your time and acknowledge the people around you. Enjoy their company, listen to there stories, and learn from them. Everyone has something to teach and we can all learn from one another. Don’t be af