Skip to main content

Omar- 2014年ようこそ!

2014年ようこそ!


Hello Everyone!


First of all 明けましておめでとうございます!!!Happy New Year! It’s been a while since my last post! But it’s already almost been 4 months since I have been here! I really can’t believe it! I had the most amazing New Year’s! Every year I usually just hang out with my friends and welcome the New Year but this year was my first time celebrating with a Japanese family. I did a lot of different things to welcome the New Year with my host family! 

First of all to prepare for the New Year, everyone needs food! My host mom took me with her to the early morning fish market. 

We woke up unbelievably early... and went by car. When I got there it was freezing cold as well! Who wants to be awake really early and stand in the cold :(  After getting past the cold I was able to enjoy the fish market. What was even more cool was that one of the Hippo Members husband owned a fish stand. So I was able to talk to him and get a close look at all the fish. 


I walked around the fish market with my host mother, well more like I followed her while she shopped. But I had a great time. I talked to a lot of different people and saw them prepare their merchandise. 

After purchasing A LOT of things! I finally escaped the cold! And then my host mom stored everything she bought and saved it for the new year. 

When New Year's Eve came my host mom brought out a large box obento (Japanese lunch box). She than took out the stored food she bought from the fish market and prepared various dishes. I said it was a large bento, but when I said that my host family laughed and said it was not a bento. Instead it is called "Osechi"   An Osechi is a traditional Japanese New Year food. They only use them during the new year. 


 When the New Year came, instead of watching the ball drop, I went to a traditional Japanese Shinto Shrine. It was really crowded! I waited almost 3 hours to get to the front of the line. When we finally got to the front of the line I got to say my wish or my wants for the new year.  

When going to pray at the shrine there are specific manners you must follow.
1. Threw your coin in to the offertory box
2. Ring the bell 
3. Make two deep bows 
4. Make your wish 
5. Clap twice  
6.Make one more deep bow 





This was very interesting! Lastly because I was one of the first 50-100 people at the shrine I was able to get the mochi (Japanese rice cake) that was made by the locals. Before the new year came there were a group of people that would pound the rice and prepare it to make it mochi! This was an amazing New Year's experience for me and I hope to have countless more.
Making mochi (rice cakes)










Happy New Year everyone! I'll talk to you soon!

Omar  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sama Otsukare!!

Sama お疲れさまですした! 韓国の文化おしえてくれて감사합니다!! Nos vemos en cualquier parte del world!👋💫 Wait for the last Sama blog very soon!  サマのラストーのブログ待って下さい!!👐 Sama,いってらっしゃい!

Stephanie-こんにちは!Konnichiwa! Hello!

こんにちは!Konnichiwa! Hello! My host sister Asuka and I in 小えど, Japan Hi everyone!  My name is Stephanie, but in Japan I've already been given the nickname  Su-chan  す-ちゃん    (su from Stephanie since the Japanese pronunciation is su-teh-fah-nee, and -chan is added to the end of a name when you are speaking to a younger person or a friend), so you can call me Su-chan! I am one of the five Hippo interns working in the LEX headquarters office in Tokyo this year. In addition to me, from Wisconsin, the intern team is made up of Tino from Mexico, Sakun and Ken Ken from China, and Hiu-chan from Korea. It's great to have such an international group!    Before coming to Japan I attended the University of Wisconsin and graduated with a degree in fine art. During that time I also worked for Wisconsin 4-H International Programs, which is how I first learned about Hippo through the 4-H/Hippo summer and yearlong exchanges. Last summer I had the opportun...

Maddie- ごちそうさま - Eating Well

ごちそうさま - Eating Well Signs advertising  shirasu , tiny fish famous in Kamakura Today I would like to discuss a topic that is near and dear to my heart...food culture. It`s well known among my friends and family--and heck, probably anyone that I`ve had a substantial conversation with--I absolutely LOVE food. I love cooking, I love eating, I love talking about food, and I love talking about food WHILE eating food...It`s a subject that I never tire of! So naturally, it makes sense that I would hold interest in Japan`s food culture. When I came back in August, I brought with me a desire to taste and learn. Not only did I hope to sample a wide variety of Japanese cuisine, but also to try my own hand at preparing a variety of dishes. Part of the requirements for my visa is some sort of cultural learning. For this reason, American interns are expected to select an aspect of Japanese culture to study. Naturally, I had selected food. In order to fulfill this requirement, I ...