Skip to main content

Maddie- Passing into Autumn

Passing into Autumn

When I turned on my laptop at the office this morning, I was shocked to see that it`s already the fourth of November! I`ve been in Japan for over two months--my exchange is already 1/6 of the way over... This fact was hit home further when our Mexican intern, who`s program was scheduled for a duration of two months, departed for home earlier this week. Our group of interns has really formed a great team, and it was very sad to see him go. I am reminded that I will have to say goodbye several more times this year--to my host families, exchange students, fellow interns... Not to mention all the people I already said farewell to back in Wisconsin. It`s a part of life, and I am grateful for the many good memories, but parting ways is always tough!

However, not all change is melancholy in nature. As the days have passed, so have the seasons shifted. The typhoons and toasty days of September have passed, and as of the end of October, a north wind has passed over us, bringing the first sensations of cold. I`ve become completely spoiled by the Japanese climate, and have lost my Midwestern tolerance for chilly weather. At night I burrow under my thick duvet cover, and rejoice in the glory that is the "electric carpet," (a carpet under my futon that heats up before I go to bed). It`s taking a while, but the leaves are slowly beginning to shift into their autumn colors of gold and red. I hope to explore some of the more famous parks in Tokyo when that happens.

My feelings have begun to change as well. At WI 4-H International, it is often said that emotions on yearlong exchange are like a roller coaster--up and down, up and down. I can attest to the truth of this! I "feel" more keenly here--I`m a little bit vulnerable, a little raw. But, it`s not an unpleasant experience. In fact, I often find it invigorating! It feels like I am truly invested in the moment. As we get closer to winter, I can feel my momentum slow a bit, like I`m settling into my place here. I don`t plan to lose the zest of my first few months, but to instead gain an even deeper sense of belonging.

So, what have I been up to this past month? Of course, the days have been packed with all sorts of great things. Let me break it down for you a bit:



I had my first cooking class. During this year, I am required to learn about an aspect of Japanese culture, which I will then present on upon the end of the program. I have chosen food culture. Not only do I love eating and cooking, I believe that learning about cuisine is a great way to learn about culture! By studying, and trying food preparation, you are able to get a closer look at a place`s values, history, class/gender relations, geography, and much, much more. It`s also a skill that will be fairly easy for me to share back home--and one I hope to carry through my whole life. At this cooking session, we made a couple of easy home dishes, including a creative penguin sushi roll, pictured above. I can`t wait to see what else I will learn!
My host family and I celebrated my host sister`s 22nd birthday. Now we are the same age! This was truly a day of ups and downs for me. Earlier that morning, I received a call from my Dad that my grandmother had passed away. This was not something unexpected. I had been preparing myself for this to happen during the exchange. Of course, it still provoked strong feelings within me. I was truly grateful to not only be able to speak to my parents at that time, but also with my host parents. They were incredibly supportive and understanding. Later that evening, we had Risa`s birthday dinner. I had a really wonderful time. We ate so much good food, laughed, and talked. It was such a warm family environment, and it really soothed my soul. While I am of course sad about my grandmother`s passing, I am also so happy to have such great families, both in America and Japan.

I celebrated Halloween with my Hippo family. We dressed in costumes, played games, and even "trick-or-treated" (ran around to different people at the meeting who gave us candy). So not only did I get to dress up and have fun (a crucial part of the spooky season), but I also got my sugar fix!
One of the biggest highlights of this month had to be my dad`s visit! He was able to spend a week with me, and my host family. It was wonderful to be able to show him around my favorite spots in Tokyo, and the Hippo office. My host parents were extremely hospitable, and generously welcomed him to our home. They even took Dad and I on a trip up north to Nikko! There we enjoyed hiking, traditional cuisine, and onsen, or hot springs. During that week, I was once again impressed by the warm heart of Hippo Family Club. Everyone was eager to meet my dad and engage him in conversation, even though he only speaks English. That week ended with my heart full...I will always treasure this great experience that the two of us were able to share!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sama Otsukare!!

Sama お疲れさまですした! 韓国の文化おしえてくれて감사합니다!! Nos vemos en cualquier parte del world!👋💫 Wait for the last Sama blog very soon!  サマのラストーのブログ待って下さい!!👐 Sama,いってらっしゃい!

こんにちはトゥーイです!From Thailand!

👋 เดือนสิงหาคม 2018  August 2018 8月 こんにちはタイからトゥーイです!✌ 今から1か月前日本に来た!とせんぶはすごい! เริ่มต้นด้วยการไป nature camp ที่นากาโนะ ได้นั่งรถไฟชินคังเซ็นเป็นครั้งแรก รู้สึกตื่นเต้นเอามากๆ พอถึงที่นากาโนะก็ต้องนั่งรถบัสต่อก่อนจะถึงที่พัก ได้มองเห็นวิวภูเขาที่ไม่เคยเห็นอีกด้วย มาแคมป์ครั้งนี้ได้เจอกับคนมากมาย ได้เพื่อนเป็นคนต่างชาติหลากหลายคนอย่างที่ไม่เคยคิดว่าจะเป็นไปได้ด้วย(ฮ่า) ที่แคมป์มีการแบ่งกลุ่มกันทำกิจกรรม ฉันได้อยู่กลุ่ม5 ทุกคนน่ารักมากๆ ใจดีกับฉัน เข้ามาคุยกับฉันทั้งๆที่ภาษาแตกต่างกัน แต่ทุกคนก็พยายามพูดภาษาอังกฤษที่ไม่ถนัด รู้สึกซาบซึ้งในใจเลย นอกจากจะได้เพื่อนแล้วยังได้ไปปีนเขา ไปปีนโขดหินตามแม่น้ำ เป็นประสบการณ์ใหม่ที่ตื่นเต้นและประทับใจสุดๆค่ะ Nature Camp make me a lot of friends. I'm happy to be everybody's friend.  And Nature Camp make me feel happy and excited when I standing in Nature. This photo, I take it while walking to park and Kenashi-Yama一番楽しかった. きれいな~!!💫 และในเดือนนี้ฉันก็ได้เริ่มทำขนมปังเองเป็นครั้งแรก(ทำกับโฮสพ่อ) เป็นขนมปังปอด์นธรรมดา และ

¡Ya me voy a mi casita en Oregon!

お母さん, お父さん お父さんがめちゃやさしい  いつもはモコサ大丈夫とかモコサ食べた? *Warning* There is too much, I mean muchisimas, things to talk about in 11 months of living in Japan. This is just a small reflection of it. (: Ya ha pasado 11 meses!! Y no me la creo que rápido pasaron. 本当にはやい。さきではめちゃたいへんとチャレンジ!だけど頑張ってるとnot give up so quickly がめちゃいい。皆さんありがとうございました、めちゃやさしとあえてうれした。一番好きことは皆のあえてた! En una a ñ o se puede aprender mucho. Pero en un ano en otro pais aprendes mucho de todo, incluso de ti mismo. Los muchachos jovenes me inspiraron en ser mas estudiosa y acabar la escuela. La gente mayor me ense ñ o en ser mas humilde y de disfrutar lo del alrededor. La gente de hippo me ense ñ o que no importa de donde seas o que idioma hables somos humanos. So with this in mind I recommend you take a moment of your time and acknowledge the people around you. Enjoy their company, listen to there stories, and learn from them. Everyone has something to teach and we can all learn from one another. Don’t be af