Skip to main content

Dannielle- Setsubun

Setsubun


In February, there is a holiday in Japan called Setsubun. In celebration of the special day, I ventured out to Nagatacho (close to my work here in Shibuya) and visited the Hie Temple. It was so beautiful and peaceful up on a small hill, and oddly placed among the city life of Tokyo.


It was crowded with people (but not too crowded, hence why I chose Nagatacho over Asakusa) standing in front of the temple "stage", within which we could hear some music and see some people inside dancing and preparing for the event.

Because I got there earlier, I had to wait a bit, and so I talked with the older couple that stood next to me. Turns out, the husband and wife had been to the US before and lived in New Orleans about 10 years ago, so we eased into some great conversation. Very sweet people.

When the event started, I witnessed a person dressed as an oni (demon) emerging from inside the temple, being drawn out by the priests who threw beans at him and shouted a special Setsubun mantra. The temple became very lively during the performance, and after the oni disappeared behind the curtains, the priests and priestesses proceeded to throw beans and small snacks to the people who stood crowded around. I didn't join the crowd to catch any snacks or beans, but I had fun standing behind, watching, and taking pictures.


Also, when I got home, I did another interesting Setsubun ritual with my host brother and sister. While sitting west-southwest, you eat uncut makizushi. And while you eat it, you're not allowed to talk. When I asked why we couldn't talk (afterwards, of course), my host sister was like, "I don't know, we just do." Haha!

Back in the States, we definitely don't have anything quite like Setsubun, so I thought the whole experience was very interesting.


Basically, during Setsubun (and you can probably just google this, but I'd like to give you my couple cents worth, too), is that they throw beans saying, "Demons out, and good luck in!" as protection to the household and famly. It's mostly a kids' event, but I - of course - had a lot of fun with it, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sama Otsukare!!

Sama お疲れさまですした! 韓国の文化おしえてくれて감사합니다!! Nos vemos en cualquier parte del world!👋💫 Wait for the last Sama blog very soon!  サマのラストーのブログ待って下さい!!👐 Sama,いってらっしゃい!

こんにちはトゥーイです!From Thailand!

👋 เดือนสิงหาคม 2018  August 2018 8月 こんにちはタイからトゥーイです!✌ 今から1か月前日本に来た!とせんぶはすごい! เริ่มต้นด้วยการไป nature camp ที่นากาโนะ ได้นั่งรถไฟชินคังเซ็นเป็นครั้งแรก รู้สึกตื่นเต้นเอามากๆ พอถึงที่นากาโนะก็ต้องนั่งรถบัสต่อก่อนจะถึงที่พัก ได้มองเห็นวิวภูเขาที่ไม่เคยเห็นอีกด้วย มาแคมป์ครั้งนี้ได้เจอกับคนมากมาย ได้เพื่อนเป็นคนต่างชาติหลากหลายคนอย่างที่ไม่เคยคิดว่าจะเป็นไปได้ด้วย(ฮ่า) ที่แคมป์มีการแบ่งกลุ่มกันทำกิจกรรม ฉันได้อยู่กลุ่ม5 ทุกคนน่ารักมากๆ ใจดีกับฉัน เข้ามาคุยกับฉันทั้งๆที่ภาษาแตกต่างกัน แต่ทุกคนก็พยายามพูดภาษาอังกฤษที่ไม่ถนัด รู้สึกซาบซึ้งในใจเลย นอกจากจะได้เพื่อนแล้วยังได้ไปปีนเขา ไปปีนโขดหินตามแม่น้ำ เป็นประสบการณ์ใหม่ที่ตื่นเต้นและประทับใจสุดๆค่ะ Nature Camp make me a lot of friends. I'm happy to be everybody's friend.  And Nature Camp make me feel happy and excited when I standing in Nature. This photo, I take it while walking to park and Kenashi-Yama一番楽しかった. きれいな~!!💫 และในเดือนนี้ฉันก็ได้เริ่มทำขนมปังเองเป็นครั้งแรก(ทำกับโฮสพ่อ) เป็นขนมปังปอด์นธรรมดา และ

¡Ya me voy a mi casita en Oregon!

お母さん, お父さん お父さんがめちゃやさしい  いつもはモコサ大丈夫とかモコサ食べた? *Warning* There is too much, I mean muchisimas, things to talk about in 11 months of living in Japan. This is just a small reflection of it. (: Ya ha pasado 11 meses!! Y no me la creo que rápido pasaron. 本当にはやい。さきではめちゃたいへんとチャレンジ!だけど頑張ってるとnot give up so quickly がめちゃいい。皆さんありがとうございました、めちゃやさしとあえてうれした。一番好きことは皆のあえてた! En una a ñ o se puede aprender mucho. Pero en un ano en otro pais aprendes mucho de todo, incluso de ti mismo. Los muchachos jovenes me inspiraron en ser mas estudiosa y acabar la escuela. La gente mayor me ense ñ o en ser mas humilde y de disfrutar lo del alrededor. La gente de hippo me ense ñ o que no importa de donde seas o que idioma hables somos humanos. So with this in mind I recommend you take a moment of your time and acknowledge the people around you. Enjoy their company, listen to there stories, and learn from them. Everyone has something to teach and we can all learn from one another. Don’t be af