Skip to main content

Danielle- Fuji Gasshuku

Fuji Gasshuku


Since I had the opportunity to attend another neat gasshuku, I reeeeally want to show you some pics I took while at a camp at Mt. Fuji. :D

Actually, it was optional to go as an intern, but I'm sooo glad I went! I had a blast!!


I also met with the other intern from Mexico, other year-long exchange students, and some friends from LEX/Hippo. Pictures of the madness included - the gymnasium was PACKED with people!


One of the cool things we all got to do was get up eaaarly in the morning and take a trek up to a Mt. Fuji viewpoint to watch the sunrise. It was super amazing to watch - slowly but surely, starting from the tippy-top, Mt. Fuji started to turn pink! Hard to describe how beautiful it was, so here, have some pictures.


Most of the camp was actually indoors, but during my break time, I did lots of walking. I found some trails and followed them for a while, taking pictures and enjoying the scenery. The landscape around Fuji was a huge 180 twist compared to the loud and busy Tokyo.


During my walk, I also had a mini pillowfight (me outside the window, and them inside their shared room) with these cuties.


And then, when I passed by the boys rooms, I caught a few boys peeping out, so I played hide and seek with them a bit with my camera. Lots of fun. :)


Also, in the morning, I found the most frost I'd ever seen since coming to Japan. Thought it was super pretty, so I took some pictures. As a side note, Japan definitely doesn't get as cold or snowy as it does back in Illinois, so I was super happy to find some white this winter.


Another thing that really took my breath away was a meditation room I stumbled upon. It was a tiny little hut-like building from the outside, but on the inside, it was like a mini church with a beautiful overlook of Mt. Fuji. Absolutely gorgeous. Because I still had some time on my hands before camp activities started back up again, I sat down and did some thinking.


I won't get too mushy here or anything, but it was just a really cool experience and I thought I'd share it all with you. :D

That, and I just reeeally wanted to show you some of my Fuji photos. :>

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sama Otsukare!!

Sama お疲れさまですした! 韓国の文化おしえてくれて감사합니다!! Nos vemos en cualquier parte del world!👋💫 Wait for the last Sama blog very soon!  サマのラストーのブログ待って下さい!!👐 Sama,いってらっしゃい!

Maddie- ごちそうさま - Eating Well

ごちそうさま - Eating Well Signs advertising  shirasu , tiny fish famous in Kamakura Today I would like to discuss a topic that is near and dear to my heart...food culture. It`s well known among my friends and family--and heck, probably anyone that I`ve had a substantial conversation with--I absolutely LOVE food. I love cooking, I love eating, I love talking about food, and I love talking about food WHILE eating food...It`s a subject that I never tire of! So naturally, it makes sense that I would hold interest in Japan`s food culture. When I came back in August, I brought with me a desire to taste and learn. Not only did I hope to sample a wide variety of Japanese cuisine, but also to try my own hand at preparing a variety of dishes. Part of the requirements for my visa is some sort of cultural learning. For this reason, American interns are expected to select an aspect of Japanese culture to study. Naturally, I had selected food. In order to fulfill this requirement, I ...

Stephanie-こんにちは!Konnichiwa! Hello!

こんにちは!Konnichiwa! Hello! My host sister Asuka and I in 小えど, Japan Hi everyone!  My name is Stephanie, but in Japan I've already been given the nickname  Su-chan  す-ちゃん    (su from Stephanie since the Japanese pronunciation is su-teh-fah-nee, and -chan is added to the end of a name when you are speaking to a younger person or a friend), so you can call me Su-chan! I am one of the five Hippo interns working in the LEX headquarters office in Tokyo this year. In addition to me, from Wisconsin, the intern team is made up of Tino from Mexico, Sakun and Ken Ken from China, and Hiu-chan from Korea. It's great to have such an international group!    Before coming to Japan I attended the University of Wisconsin and graduated with a degree in fine art. During that time I also worked for Wisconsin 4-H International Programs, which is how I first learned about Hippo through the 4-H/Hippo summer and yearlong exchanges. Last summer I had the opportun...