Skip to main content

Danielle- Osaka

Osaka


Guess who took a shinkansen (bullet train) to Osaka on a business trip for 4 days?


And guess who got to try Osaka takoyaki, okonomiyaki, and kushikatsu at Dotonbori?


And guess who got to trek around Osaka Castle grounds?! :D


I’m so lucky. ;___;

Since I’m a nerd for Japanese history – or more specifically, the Sengoku period – I had a blast in Osaka, visiting Hideyoshi Toyotomi’s Osaka Castle (it’s more touristy than I pictured it, but I learned a ton and got me some great souvenirs anyways), getting to see letters written by Nobunaga Oda (couldn’t read them, but the calligraphy is unbelievably intricate), and also checking out the beautiful paintings depicting the Osaka Summer Campaign.


I learned that Osaka Castle was originally built in 1583 under Toyotomi, but was burnt down during the Osaka Summer Campaign in 1615. It was rebuilt from 1620 – 1629 under the Tokugawa Shogunate, and then later on restored under the Meiji Restoration in 1868… So yeah, it’s been built and rebuilt a bunch of times.

But a lot of the Toyotomi spirit was still intact even after Tokugawa had rebuilt it. And it was really interesting to see the mystery that remained in the castle years later. Topics such as…

“An old stone wall was discovered buried in an area 45 meters south of the present castle.”
“A mysterious escape hole discovered during investigations on the stone walls of the South Outer Moat.”
“Investigation of the legendary Golden well. (1959)”

It was also rumored that Toyotomi (who loved gold) tossed some gold in the bottom of one of his wells, but no one has ever found it, so I can’t say if it ever happened or not.

And how Tako-ishi (Octopus Stone) were used to construct an outer layer of protection is still a mystery to me. Those things are HUGE and weigh TONS!

Speaking of the Sengoku Jidai, Masamune Date happens to be my favorite of the feudal lords (daimyou), because his background story is just so cool. In his childhood, he lost his right eye to sickness, presumably, and in Osaka Castle, there was a little tidbit about him saying that he was super touchy about his lost eye, making whoever did his portrait paint it in. He was nicknamed “The One-Eyed Dragon” (how cool is that?!).


I would love to take a trip to Masamune’s stomping grounds, Sendai, sometime during my time here, but we’ll see about that. It’s kind of out-of-the-way (about a 5 hour trip, give or take), and transportation out here ain’t cheap.

(Also, speaking of transportation… On a more personal note, I moved from Umegaoka, Tokyo to Yachiyo, Chiba yesterday!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sama Otsukare!!

Sama お疲れさまですした! 韓国の文化おしえてくれて감사합니다!! Nos vemos en cualquier parte del world!👋💫 Wait for the last Sama blog very soon!  サマのラストーのブログ待って下さい!!👐 Sama,いってらっしゃい!

Michael- Arrival in Japan

Arrival In Japan What an experience! I'm Michael Gobin. I will be the 2009-2010 LEX Intern in the Tokyo Office. LEX America has been telling you a lot about me, so I won't take a lot of space on introductions. I will be contributing to this blog a couple times a month over the next year. However, my mentor here in the office is gone on a multi-country adventure for the next week, so I will be spending those days contributing more often. I'll try to paint a picture of what my first few days in Japan have been like. Even though I spent 14 hours on a plane headed to Japan. It wasn't until I took those first steps off the plane that it hit me like I walked through a curtain that I was in Japan. First of all, it was immediately warmer. Kana went from being an equal language in places where it mattered, to everywhere with English only as a back-up in the important areas. Most importantly though, I became completely illiterate and that's when I knew the adventure h...

Maddie- ごちそうさま - Eating Well

ごちそうさま - Eating Well Signs advertising  shirasu , tiny fish famous in Kamakura Today I would like to discuss a topic that is near and dear to my heart...food culture. It`s well known among my friends and family--and heck, probably anyone that I`ve had a substantial conversation with--I absolutely LOVE food. I love cooking, I love eating, I love talking about food, and I love talking about food WHILE eating food...It`s a subject that I never tire of! So naturally, it makes sense that I would hold interest in Japan`s food culture. When I came back in August, I brought with me a desire to taste and learn. Not only did I hope to sample a wide variety of Japanese cuisine, but also to try my own hand at preparing a variety of dishes. Part of the requirements for my visa is some sort of cultural learning. For this reason, American interns are expected to select an aspect of Japanese culture to study. Naturally, I had selected food. In order to fulfill this requirement, I ...