Skip to main content

Danielle- Christmas

Christmas


Merry Christmas, everyone!! It's been kinda hard to get the whole "Christmas spirit" feel this year, just because not many people seem to celebrate it like they do in the States. Because Christmas in America (let alone, in my household of eight) and Christmas in Japan are really quite different.

Here are a couple quick things I noticed:

1. People still work/go to school on 12/25. :o

2. It's mostly a time for young kids and is less celebrated when you get older.

3. 12/24 may be bigger than 12/25, and that's when my host family did their gift exchange (and I got my pajamas that I never want to change out of, because they are soooo comfy, thank you host mama!!)


4. It's not as family-oriented as their New Years celebration is. Christmas Day is more a time for friends to get together and chill. Whereas, New Years is when people travel to get together with their families and chill. Lots of chillin' going on in the winter time.

5. There aren't too many decorations around; mostly just when I go shopping do I hear the music and see the lights (Christmas cakes are definitely a thing out here, though).


This year, holidays are very different for me, since my family and I have always been very close. This is actually my first Christmas I've ever been away from home. Though I'm not able to spend it with my family, I do feel very lucky that I was able to celebrate the holidays with my favorite people that I met out here in Japan. I'm super grateful for them, why are you all so nice to me?! :D Thanks, buddies!


Also, looking forward to celebrating my first Japanese New Years! Can't wait to try some osechi (New Years feast)!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sama Otsukare!!

Sama お疲れさまですした! 韓国の文化おしえてくれて감사합니다!! Nos vemos en cualquier parte del world!👋💫 Wait for the last Sama blog very soon!  サマのラストーのブログ待って下さい!!👐 Sama,いってらっしゃい!

Michael- Arrival in Japan

Arrival In Japan What an experience! I'm Michael Gobin. I will be the 2009-2010 LEX Intern in the Tokyo Office. LEX America has been telling you a lot about me, so I won't take a lot of space on introductions. I will be contributing to this blog a couple times a month over the next year. However, my mentor here in the office is gone on a multi-country adventure for the next week, so I will be spending those days contributing more often. I'll try to paint a picture of what my first few days in Japan have been like. Even though I spent 14 hours on a plane headed to Japan. It wasn't until I took those first steps off the plane that it hit me like I walked through a curtain that I was in Japan. First of all, it was immediately warmer. Kana went from being an equal language in places where it mattered, to everywhere with English only as a back-up in the important areas. Most importantly though, I became completely illiterate and that's when I knew the adventure h...

Maddie- ごちそうさま - Eating Well

ごちそうさま - Eating Well Signs advertising  shirasu , tiny fish famous in Kamakura Today I would like to discuss a topic that is near and dear to my heart...food culture. It`s well known among my friends and family--and heck, probably anyone that I`ve had a substantial conversation with--I absolutely LOVE food. I love cooking, I love eating, I love talking about food, and I love talking about food WHILE eating food...It`s a subject that I never tire of! So naturally, it makes sense that I would hold interest in Japan`s food culture. When I came back in August, I brought with me a desire to taste and learn. Not only did I hope to sample a wide variety of Japanese cuisine, but also to try my own hand at preparing a variety of dishes. Part of the requirements for my visa is some sort of cultural learning. For this reason, American interns are expected to select an aspect of Japanese culture to study. Naturally, I had selected food. In order to fulfill this requirement, I ...