Skip to main content

Danielle- Fuji!

Fuji

 

Took a drive to visit Mt. Fuji! I felt so nostalgic being on a highway again, but it was weird seeing all the trucks drive on the (slower) left side of the road! There were a few toll ways on the way there, but it was no problem, thanks to ETC (Japan version of American iPass).








On my way there, I also passed up the Naval Air Facility Atsugi base. While driving, I could see a bunch of airplanes, helicopters, and even a few jeeps with soldiers in them. I learned that there are a bunch of American bases in Japan - 84 USFJ facilities to date. The USFJ was formed after World War II, when Japanese Navy and Imperial Army were decommissioned, and the U.S. Armed Forces took over their military bases. I learned that nowadays, Japan doesn’t have an army of their own but instead pays the US for theirs.

The closer we got to Fuji, the higher we drove up the mountains, and the higher we went up, the more my ears would pop! Of course, Fuji was beautiful. We really lucked out, and the weather was perfect for sight-seeing. I took a ton of pictures while I was there from a few different viewpoints (like Yamanaka Ike).










I learned that Fuji is actually an active volcano and hasn’t erupted since 1708. It’s so big that you can see it from Tokyo on a clear day, and one of its bordering cities is Shizuoka (which I could tell because there were Kokko advertisements on billboards nearby, and Kokko is one of the most amazing souvenir sweets for Shizuoka ever, just so you know).


But this was the first time I’d ever been to the mountains before, and to me, I was equally as impressed by the “yama no mura” (mountain villages) that I saw on the way there/back. It was so serene, and so beautiful, and really, I’d never experienced anything like it. It almost felt nostalgic to see such quiet farm life, but also so new and just completely remarkable. Compared to busy Tokyo, a lovely change of pace and scenery like this was just what I needed.

I definitely hope to go back to Fuji. I’ve been told that there are some people who hike it at night, then wait up there, waiting for the perfect photo that they take when the sun rises. If given the opportunity, I would totally be willing to give that a try, but we’ll see how/if it all plays out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sama Otsukare!!

Sama お疲れさまですした! 韓国の文化おしえてくれて감사합니다!! Nos vemos en cualquier parte del world!👋💫 Wait for the last Sama blog very soon!  サマのラストーのブログ待って下さい!!👐 Sama,いってらっしゃい!

Maddie- ごちそうさま - Eating Well

ごちそうさま - Eating Well Signs advertising  shirasu , tiny fish famous in Kamakura Today I would like to discuss a topic that is near and dear to my heart...food culture. It`s well known among my friends and family--and heck, probably anyone that I`ve had a substantial conversation with--I absolutely LOVE food. I love cooking, I love eating, I love talking about food, and I love talking about food WHILE eating food...It`s a subject that I never tire of! So naturally, it makes sense that I would hold interest in Japan`s food culture. When I came back in August, I brought with me a desire to taste and learn. Not only did I hope to sample a wide variety of Japanese cuisine, but also to try my own hand at preparing a variety of dishes. Part of the requirements for my visa is some sort of cultural learning. For this reason, American interns are expected to select an aspect of Japanese culture to study. Naturally, I had selected food. In order to fulfill this requirement, I ...

Stephanie-こんにちは!Konnichiwa! Hello!

こんにちは!Konnichiwa! Hello! My host sister Asuka and I in 小えど, Japan Hi everyone!  My name is Stephanie, but in Japan I've already been given the nickname  Su-chan  す-ちゃん    (su from Stephanie since the Japanese pronunciation is su-teh-fah-nee, and -chan is added to the end of a name when you are speaking to a younger person or a friend), so you can call me Su-chan! I am one of the five Hippo interns working in the LEX headquarters office in Tokyo this year. In addition to me, from Wisconsin, the intern team is made up of Tino from Mexico, Sakun and Ken Ken from China, and Hiu-chan from Korea. It's great to have such an international group!    Before coming to Japan I attended the University of Wisconsin and graduated with a degree in fine art. During that time I also worked for Wisconsin 4-H International Programs, which is how I first learned about Hippo through the 4-H/Hippo summer and yearlong exchanges. Last summer I had the opportun...