Skip to main content

Danielle- A belated "Nice to meet you!"

A belated "Nice to meet you!" :D




Minnasan, konnichiwa! Hello, everyone! My name’s Danielle, and I have the honor of being the 2014 – 2015 LEX America Intern. Nice to meet you all!

Actually, last week, I celebrated my one-month anniversary here in Japan, but I started blogging only until just now… A lot has happened this past month, and I’m 100% sure that this internship at Hippo will be keeping me on my toes.

But anyways, let me start at the beginning.

I’m Danielle Dittmer. I’m a 23-year-old college student from Mundelein, Illinois (which is close to Chicago). My hobbies are writing stories, taking photos, computers, playing video games, and tea. My last name, Dittmer, is German. A long time ago, my great-grandpa came from Germany to America. And my great-grandma came to America from Ireland. So that makes me mostly German and Irish, like a mixed-breed dog. :D

I live on a farm with my mom, my dad, 2 younger brothers, 3 younger sisters, and my grandpa, too. On this farm, we raise chickens, goldfish, doves, and goats. I love it in the country!  When I first showed my family photos to the people at Hippo and various school visits (called kokurika), their reactions were all very similar, “Really?! What a huge family! I wish I had a big family like that!”

Me and my family were also fortunate enough to host 4 children from Japan, with whom we still keep in touch sending them mail from time-to-time for the holidays and birthdays, and I plan to visit them sometime during my yearlong stay here in Japan.

Let’s see… This past month has been loaded with new experiences. Experiences such as:
1.       Learning about the train system in Tokyo (no major mistakes yet, knock on wood)
2.       Trying new foods like monjayaki, surume, and shougayaki
3.       Working in the Hippo office in Shibuya with my super-nice coworkers who are so patient with me and my limited Japanese
4.       Trying on new clothes in Uniqlo dressing room
5.       Visiting an elementary school, where I played games and introduced myself to a group of super-cute first-graders, and gave them all high-fives afterwards
6.       Listening to a shamisen performance at the Edo Tokyo Museum
7.       Visiting the penguins at the Ikebukuro Aquarium and Ueno Park
8.   Getting help from a kouban when I got lost after getting off at the wrong exit
9.   Bathing in a Japanese bath for the first time
10.   Learning to walk on the left side of the street, instead of the right
11.   Playing piano in a Yamaha store for an hour until they kicked me out
12.   Riding a bike around town to get to local Hippo clubs
13.   Meeting more international exchange students at Tokyo Institute of Technology
14.   Working on a New Years card with another fellow intern
15.   Winning a prize doing shateki (target practice) at my first Matsuri in Gotokuji
16.   Editing/Translating English/Japanese documents for work
17.   Buying a guitar album at BookOff
18.   Meeting a very talented artist and having her draw for me
19.   Taking a ton of photos at the beautiful Imperial Palace
20.   Doing major shopping at Ikebukuro’s Animate store
21.   Shopping at Shibuya Hikarie
22.   Making so many friends that I can’t remember all their names (yet)
23.   Doing many speeches in both English and Japanese in front of Hippo members
24.   Eating really great Italian food at a café in Kichijoji
25.   Walking from Shibuya to Harajuku to enjoy the nightlife at Takeshita Dori

View from Shibuya Hikarie

Penguins at Ikebukuro Aquarium (so cuuuute!)

Beeeaautiful Imperial Palace

Matsuri lights at night

Megurogawa river

Okonomiyaki (my favorite Japanese delicacy~)

Pasmo is your best friend. Keep him/her close.

Cherry blossoms in Imperial Palace gardens

My first school visit

Train stations. I love taking pictures at train stations. :D

Typhoon weather - always fun

If they ask you to put a bag over your head when going into the dressing room, it means they don't want your makeup to get their clothes dirty in case you decide not to buy them.


I’ve learned so much so far, but I have a feeling that I’ll be learning something new every day while I’m here. There are days when I don’t even know what I’ll be doing tomorrow, so I just take things day-by-day, and do the best I can.

Also, I’m secretly very glad that it’s getting colder now. It’s really starting to feel like autumn. In Chicago, the winters are very cold and can be very long, so it’s been a unique experience wearing short sleeves in October! Especially when I’ve gone trick-or-treating in the snow a few times before!

Anyways, that’s all for now. Keep you posted! Mata ne!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sama Otsukare!!

Sama お疲れさまですした! 韓国の文化おしえてくれて감사합니다!! Nos vemos en cualquier parte del world!👋💫 Wait for the last Sama blog very soon!  サマのラストーのブログ待って下さい!!👐 Sama,いってらっしゃい!

こんにちはトゥーイです!From Thailand!

👋 เดือนสิงหาคม 2018  August 2018 8月 こんにちはタイからトゥーイです!✌ 今から1か月前日本に来た!とせんぶはすごい! เริ่มต้นด้วยการไป nature camp ที่นากาโนะ ได้นั่งรถไฟชินคังเซ็นเป็นครั้งแรก รู้สึกตื่นเต้นเอามากๆ พอถึงที่นากาโนะก็ต้องนั่งรถบัสต่อก่อนจะถึงที่พัก ได้มองเห็นวิวภูเขาที่ไม่เคยเห็นอีกด้วย มาแคมป์ครั้งนี้ได้เจอกับคนมากมาย ได้เพื่อนเป็นคนต่างชาติหลากหลายคนอย่างที่ไม่เคยคิดว่าจะเป็นไปได้ด้วย(ฮ่า) ที่แคมป์มีการแบ่งกลุ่มกันทำกิจกรรม ฉันได้อยู่กลุ่ม5 ทุกคนน่ารักมากๆ ใจดีกับฉัน เข้ามาคุยกับฉันทั้งๆที่ภาษาแตกต่างกัน แต่ทุกคนก็พยายามพูดภาษาอังกฤษที่ไม่ถนัด รู้สึกซาบซึ้งในใจเลย นอกจากจะได้เพื่อนแล้วยังได้ไปปีนเขา ไปปีนโขดหินตามแม่น้ำ เป็นประสบการณ์ใหม่ที่ตื่นเต้นและประทับใจสุดๆค่ะ Nature Camp make me a lot of friends. I'm happy to be everybody's friend.  And Nature Camp make me feel happy and excited when I standing in Nature. This photo, I take it while walking to park and Kenashi-Yama一番楽しかった. きれいな~!!💫 และในเดือนนี้ฉันก็ได้เริ่มทำขนมปังเองเป็นครั้งแรก(ทำกับโฮสพ่อ) เป็นขนมปังปอด์นธรรมดา และ

¡Ya me voy a mi casita en Oregon!

お母さん, お父さん お父さんがめちゃやさしい  いつもはモコサ大丈夫とかモコサ食べた? *Warning* There is too much, I mean muchisimas, things to talk about in 11 months of living in Japan. This is just a small reflection of it. (: Ya ha pasado 11 meses!! Y no me la creo que rápido pasaron. 本当にはやい。さきではめちゃたいへんとチャレンジ!だけど頑張ってるとnot give up so quickly がめちゃいい。皆さんありがとうございました、めちゃやさしとあえてうれした。一番好きことは皆のあえてた! En una a ñ o se puede aprender mucho. Pero en un ano en otro pais aprendes mucho de todo, incluso de ti mismo. Los muchachos jovenes me inspiraron en ser mas estudiosa y acabar la escuela. La gente mayor me ense ñ o en ser mas humilde y de disfrutar lo del alrededor. La gente de hippo me ense ñ o que no importa de donde seas o que idioma hables somos humanos. So with this in mind I recommend you take a moment of your time and acknowledge the people around you. Enjoy their company, listen to there stories, and learn from them. Everyone has something to teach and we can all learn from one another. Don’t be af