Skip to main content

Daniel- Bye-Bye Japan/ China Trip

Bye-Bye Japan


Unfortunately, time passes by and my year in Japan has come to an end.
I had a great time working as an intern at LEX/Hippo Family Club in Tokyo. The experience taught me a lot, widened my world view, and introduced me to an amazing culture and people.
After returning to Japan from China, the last 21 days in Japan were spent participating in good-bye parties all over Tokyo.
Goodbye Party at Work
7ABC191D2219AC68172E3BA9D54BF1C3.jpg
Goodbye Party at Church
IMG_2464.jpg
Goodbye Party in Ota-ku (first host family)
SAM_8204.jpg
Goodbye Party in Saitama (second host family)
IMG_2433.jpg
Goodbye Party at the Airport 
IMG_2585.jpg
Wow, I had a lot of goodbye parties. And no, it's not because I'm super-duperly popular and I have a lot of Japanese friends who like to throw me good-bye parties. It's because the Japanese people I met, especially at HIPPO, are incredibly kind and thoughtful. They definitely set a wonderful example of how to make someone feel welcomed.
How often do people come to visit us for a time in our lives, our circles, or our groups? We get close to them, and when they leave, we're just like, "kthnxbye." I think we should put in more time and effort in our temporary relationships, so that when the visitors leave, they would feel welcomed and would want to come back again. That's exactly how I feel about Japan now. Thank you, Japan. And thank you, LEX/Hippo Family Club, for allowing me to spend such an awesome year in Japan.
---- ALSO ----
While in Japan, I had the chance to climb Mount Fuji!

Mount Fuji is Japan's tallest mountain, at 3,776 meters (12,388 ft). It's Japan's trademark, found on virtually all postcards and Japanese paraphernalia.
When I first came to Japan, I spoke no Japanese and thought at times that I would never learn it. So, I think it would be cool to draw a parallel here, and say that Mount Fuji is a symbol of my presence in Japan. Just as I conquered the climb up Fuji, I conquered the Japanese language in the same manner. But, in reality, there is so much of the Japanese language left to conquer that I am not quite at the top yet.

Instead, I can parallel Mount Fuji to myself. Just as I conquered Mt. Fuji, I conquered all of my initial doubts about ever learning Japanese and being part of the Japanese culture. Just like with Fuji, I am higher than I ever thought possible!
SAM_6191.jpg

China, Final [中国]


Our last couple of days in Beijing were spent visiting the numerous attractions of China's capital city.



That night, we planned to ride the train back to Shanghai, from where we would fly back to Tokyo. Yuki-chan decided to stay an extra day in Beijing, so only Gen-chan and I took the train to Shanghai.
Unfortunately, when it came time to buy the Beijing --> Shanghai train tickets, all of the sleepers were sold out. We had no choice but to buy seats. A 13-hour overnight train ride in a seated position was definitely not going to be fun, so neither of us was looking forward to it.
When it came time to board, Gen-chan and I took our seats across from an old man and a teenager, both Chinese. The old man talked to the teenager the entire trip, and the teenager made it seem like he was kindly listening, even though he was clearly bored out of his mind.
The train was packed. Not only were all the seats occupied, but people would still enter the train at every stop and join those standing in the aisles. I realized that even though I was unhappy with having to sit overnight for 13 hours, it was much better than having to stand. Most of these people didn't seem like they could afford seats anyway.
Gen-chan and I were both foreigners, but my Gen-chan was Japanese, so he could blend in well with the Chinese community. I, however, a blonde and blue-eyed American, was very noticeable. Everyone stared at me whenever I would get up to go to the bathroom. Foreign tourists usually buy tickets for the much more expensive high speed train, or at least get a sleeper car. But due to unforeseen circumstances, the two of us were stuck in this train car with, who appeared to be, mostly lower-class Chinese laborers.
Being there, amongst the poorer Chinese, really opened my eyes. Although sleeping in a seated position for 13 hours is very uncomfortable, it's much better than having to stand for 13 hours. One old woman, standing in the aisle, decided to lay down and sleep on the floor. Many people who didn't have seats but didn't have room to stand in the aisles were squatting in the compartment between train cars, where the bathrooms are. Of the two bathrooms, one was occupied by someones luggage, so only one bathroom was available for use. Another person, with their luggage, sat on top of the sink, so you couldn't wash your hands after doing your business.
What touched me most was when the 13 hours were over and we finally arrived in Shanghai. One older woman took her stuff, wrapped it in a blanket, and then tied it to her body with a rope. This woman couldn't even afford a backpack, much less a seat. This entire experience made me realize how blessed and fortunate I am. We don't usually see such cases of extreme poverty - we tend to do things that offer the most comfort and convenience, keeping ourselves at a distance from those less fortunate.
I'm glad I spent 13 hours in one of China's poorer train cars. It made me realized how much I have and how much more I need to appreciate it.
6D30D6BE2219AC6817DD5D84EB84094E.jpg6D32F08D2219AC6817613614D415DB8C.jpg

China, Part 3 [中国]


Once Shanghai Camp was over, my friend Gen-chan, my host sister Yuki-chan and I took a trip to Beijing!
IMG_2157.jpg
Like I said in my previous post, although I had a great time at Shanghai Camp with my 25 Japanese friends, I was left feeling Japanese-mute when they would get together to talk in groups. Although I speak Japanese, I can't speak it as fast as my native Japanese friends, who chatter away at 100 mph. I need only one or two people to talk with, at my tempo, to not feel Japanese-muted. That's why a three person group was perfect!
We got on an overnight train from Shanghai that would arrive in Beijing the next morning.
At the Shanghai train station. I've never been surrounded by so many Asians before!
IMG_2151.jpg
It's quite an experience to take an overnight train with friends, especially in China. I recommend it! Your stuck doing everything together in a small, cramped space. That is, of course, if you like your friends. If you don't like your friends then spending time in a small, cramped space could be hellish.
47F176742219AC681791909DA8F26259.jpg
There was one Chinese guy in the compartment next to us, who kept looking in our direction, clearly wanting to ignite a friendship with our party. I asked him, "Hey! Do you speak English?" To which he replied "yes", but he wasn't very good. No bother. We are friendly Hippo members who are more than happy to ignite friendships with everyone, regardless of English level.
I asked his name, to which he replied in Chinese. I don't understand Chinese, so it just sounded like sounds to me. I imagine it would be pretty hard to ignite a friendship with someone whose name you cannot pronounce.
"What is you English name?" I asked, knowing that everyone in China also has an English name. But, to our surprise, he didn't have one. Well, I can't just call him random Chinese sounds, so I gave him a list of English names to choose from, including Dave, Terry, Mark, etc. All names from the Hippo CD's :)
Finally, he chose Mike, so that's how our friendship with Mike was ignited.
IMG_2155.jpg
Mike was a nice guy, very quirky. He stuttered when he spoke English, and the three of us agreed that it was pretty cute. When we finally arrived in Beijing, he went with us to the subway station of our hostel, and even gave us his phone number, in case anything were to happen. What a nice guy, right? I was very impressed with the kindness of the Chinese people we had met, not just Mike, but others as well. Although China is a poor country, the kindness and openness between it's people to us was astounding.
The first thing we did upon our arrival in Beijing was satisfy our hunger. Time for Peking Duck!
Master Chef preparing our Peking Duck
IMG_2160.jpg
Although Peking Duck is expensive, it's relatively cheap if split three ways. We bought the duck, headed across the street to a cheaper Chinese restaurant, bought side dishes, and enjoyed our Beijing Cuisine.
What kind of face do you make when you're eating Peking Duck? Simple! Peking Duck-face! :)
IMG_2178.jpg
48AFC0E22219AC6817D8EC27AF68418B.jpg
After Peking Duck, we headed over to the the Forbidden City, China's imperial palace, in the heart of Beijing.
IMG_2186.jpg
Crowded. Just like everywhere in China.
IMG_2201.jpg
IMG_2192.jpg
And finally, our hostel had a deal to see a Chinese acrobatic show. We decided to buy four tickets, and give the last one to Mike, for being so kind. Since he gave us his contact info, I gave him a call and we took him to see the show.
IMG_2229.jpg
IMG_2235.jpg
The acrobatic show that we watched in China was the most impressive one that I've seen in my entire life, even though I don't watch many acrobatic shows. Mike enjoyed it too :) The fitness, the balance, and the precision with which they did their tricks was awe-inspiring. I can't imagine how hard they must have worked to be able to do such things. Unfortunately, this being China, you know that they get paid in pennies for their work. This isn't America, so these people don't receive labor restrictions, safety requirements, or insurance. Being an acrobat in China must be a very dangerous job indeed.
Lastly, before going home, we decided to check the night market for some interesting Chinese foods. We were warned before coming to China not to eat street food. But, our time in China was almost over. We decided that if if we got sick, we could cure ourselves back in Japan:)
The most interesting food we could find was fried scorpions, so that's what we decided to eat!
IMG_2243.jpg
Mike tried to tell us NOT to eat it. He said it was dangerous, and that Chinese people themselves don't eat it. But, we still bought the scorpions, ate them, and then made Mike eat them too :)

That was our first day in Beijing. Pretty active, right? Thanks Mike, for making our first day so spectacular.
DSC02912.jpg

China, Part 2 [中国]


Once in China, we had a day to settle down, a day for an orientation, and then we were off to Shanghai camp!
The camp took place at Wujiang Taihu International School, located on a 200 acre plot of land an hour away from Shanghai. The Hippo Family Club and Wujiang Taihu International School have maintained a close partnership, so this was the 6th year that Hippo has organized a camp on this property.
IMG_2048.jpg
IMG_2050.jpg
I think that the Chinese students, as well as the Chinese staff at the school were very surprised with me -- a big, white American guy who acts and speaks just like the Japanese students he came with. By this time, I had already been in Japan for almost a year, so acting Japanese was second nature.
422386422219AC6817EA6355B74DBD97.jpg
Actually, most of the Chinese students who came to the camp also spoke some Japanese, too. So you have me, an American, and Chinese students communicating in our common language - Japanese. How interesting!
The purpose of our camp was to be international, to open our eyes to the world around us, especially Chinese and Japanese cultures. As a result, our four-day camp was full of international games, a campfire, Kung-Fu and meditation lessons, as well as an international fashion show.
But my favorite part of the camp was building rafts! The entire camp was split into three teams with the instructions for each team building a raft; one team to build a raft of bamboo and water bottles, one team to build a raft of bamboo and styrofoam, and the last team to build a raft of only bamboo. Once the rafts were complete, we would have a raft race.
My team was the bamboo only team, which was a difficult feat, but we had a very experienced bamboo-building leader to help us.
386CA72E2219AC6817DCB21F0F619C91.jpg
It just so happened that more than half of our team consisted of girls. So, when it came time to build the raft, the girls went indoors to make the flag, leaving us four boys (plus leader) to build the raft in the intense outside heat.
387A06D82219AC681792BC47BB0120F1.jpg
The entire raft-building process took about 2 days. During these two days, I worked my hardest to make the best raft possible. Not because I am very competitive, but because, even though I had stayed in Japan for almost a year, my Japanese wasn't at the level of my native Japanese friends. So, as they talked and joked around in groups, I couldn't really say anything because the tempo of their conversations was too fast. The rhythm was too quick for me to add anything - even though I understood everything and what I wanted to add was really interesting.
So, because I was left practically mute for a large part of camp, I decided to put my all into raft-building.
387F54632219AC68178E76E8EA168911.jpg
After 2 days, our raft was finished! Even though it was made by five guys, I couldn't help but feel like it was mymasterpiece. My Japanese muteness lead me to work my hardest and I was very pleased with the result.
IMG_2058.jpg
Finally, the girls came out with the flag. It was a huge flag that said "Oppa Shanghai Style", with a panda instead of Psy doing the Gungnam Style dance.
13__2_.jpg
TEAM PHOTO
IMG_6020.jpg
Okay! Now it's finally time to push the raft into the water, where it belongs!
403E5DE72219AC68178CD8320CE8FA21.jpg
38AD71182219AC681733B619C6A31BB4.jpg
With two people on the raft, we were able to float fine. However, once the race started and 13 people got on...we sank. Kinda. Instead of floating, we were down to our waists in water.

BUT, all of us had worked so hard on making that raft, that we were determined to at least try to get to the finish line. The bamboo oars he had made weren't helping, however. For all of the effort we exerted in rowing, we would only move a couple of inches.
Therefore, the rescue boat had to come out and pull us all the way toward the finish line.
407E5E0A2219AC681727E87EDF46803B.jpg
There were times where our fatty raft would get caught on weeds and underbrush, which left us boys getting out and into the murky water to push and pull the boat free. The water was really dirty and smelled really bad - every time I had to get in I was afraid that I would get sick.
After 3 hours of rowing, pushing, and pulling our raft to the finish line, were all wet, dirty, and exhausted. BUT, even with all the trouble we encountered - were still able to finish in second place! YEAH!
38B359022219AC6817C36105B29F218B.jpg
We all agreed at the camp debrief that the raft experience was the most difficult. But, I loved it! Were else do you have the opportunity to build a raft yourself and then race it? Only at Shanghai camp!
Shanghai camp was awesome!
40B309002219AC681728164D6943BF63.jpg

China, Part 1 [中国]


I WENT TO CHINA!
IMG_2388.jpg
I know, I haven't written in a long time. BUT, I've spoken and presented about my time in China so many times that I've memorized everything that happened. LET'S GO!
HIPPO organizes a summer camp in Shanghai, China every year for Japanese and Chinese high school and university students. The point of the camp is for Chinese and Japanese youth to get to know one another, as well as the cultures and lifestyles of each country. Japan and China have always had tense relations, so this is a good eye-opening program for them.
The camp took place in August, so yes; I know, a long time ago. This blog post (and the next three) are gonna be short and quick.
Somewhere around 25 Japanese teenagers and I set out for Shanghai camp on a ferry from Osaka to Shanghai. The entire boat ride took 3 days and 2 nights. 3 days and 2 nights of free time! That's a lot of free time. We spent most of it playing lots and lots of games.
0590D9502219AC6817D1D964FDE51C53.jpg
A cool thing about spending three days on a boat was the scenery! It was amazing!
IMG_1996.jpg
080DAF1B2219AC68170054308A036DD4.jpg

The most beautiful sunrise that I've ever seen was on a boat, completely surrounded by the Sea of Japan.
059A03AA2219AC6817E4B967313DC57D.jpg
After three nights and two days of boat riding, we were finally in CHINA!
SAM_7566.jpg
Shanghai is China's largest city and a major world financial center. Shanghai is full of high-tech ginormous skyscrapers and is in the top five of the world's tallest cities. But even with it's technological advancement, Shanghai can't cover up the fact that it's still in China.
IMG_6351.jpg
What surprised me most about Shanghai, and China in general, was that behind the facade of an ultra-modern country, it cannot hide the fact that many of its people live in poverty. What I first noticed once I arrived in China was that people hang up their laundry anywhere. People disregard traffic lights and cross whenever they please. Streets are covered with people cooking food and selling rip-off brands. People sleep on dirty cardboard in subway stations and anywhere else they can find shelter.
True, China is far from my clean, safe, and ultra-organized Japan. But even still, I LOVED China. It was like going on a safari through a concrete jungle. A really, really cheap and delicious concrete jungle! Chinese food is an explosion of tastes. And it's cheap! Here's a photo of my friends and me eating a huge bowl of 3-dollar noodles.
34CDD0372219AC6817E5B947AD7C0FD0.jpg
BTW, did you know that there is no Panda Express or orange chicken in China? American Chinese food, which is deep-fried and unhealthy, is nothing like real Chinese food, which is always served with vegetables and is relatively healthy. How else can American companies sell such unhealthy food? By blaming it on the Chinese, of course!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sama Otsukare!!

Sama お疲れさまですした! 韓国の文化おしえてくれて감사합니다!! Nos vemos en cualquier parte del world!👋💫 Wait for the last Sama blog very soon!  サマのラストーのブログ待って下さい!!👐 Sama,いってらっしゃい!

こんにちはトゥーイです!From Thailand!

👋 เดือนสิงหาคม 2018  August 2018 8月 こんにちはタイからトゥーイです!✌ 今から1か月前日本に来た!とせんぶはすごい! เริ่มต้นด้วยการไป nature camp ที่นากาโนะ ได้นั่งรถไฟชินคังเซ็นเป็นครั้งแรก รู้สึกตื่นเต้นเอามากๆ พอถึงที่นากาโนะก็ต้องนั่งรถบัสต่อก่อนจะถึงที่พัก ได้มองเห็นวิวภูเขาที่ไม่เคยเห็นอีกด้วย มาแคมป์ครั้งนี้ได้เจอกับคนมากมาย ได้เพื่อนเป็นคนต่างชาติหลากหลายคนอย่างที่ไม่เคยคิดว่าจะเป็นไปได้ด้วย(ฮ่า) ที่แคมป์มีการแบ่งกลุ่มกันทำกิจกรรม ฉันได้อยู่กลุ่ม5 ทุกคนน่ารักมากๆ ใจดีกับฉัน เข้ามาคุยกับฉันทั้งๆที่ภาษาแตกต่างกัน แต่ทุกคนก็พยายามพูดภาษาอังกฤษที่ไม่ถนัด รู้สึกซาบซึ้งในใจเลย นอกจากจะได้เพื่อนแล้วยังได้ไปปีนเขา ไปปีนโขดหินตามแม่น้ำ เป็นประสบการณ์ใหม่ที่ตื่นเต้นและประทับใจสุดๆค่ะ Nature Camp make me a lot of friends. I'm happy to be everybody's friend.  And Nature Camp make me feel happy and excited when I standing in Nature. This photo, I take it while walking to park and Kenashi-Yama一番楽しかった. きれいな~!!💫 และในเดือนนี้ฉันก็ได้เริ่มทำขนมปังเองเป็นครั้งแรก(ทำกับโฮสพ่อ) เป็นขนมปังปอด์นธรรมดา และ

¡Ya me voy a mi casita en Oregon!

お母さん, お父さん お父さんがめちゃやさしい  いつもはモコサ大丈夫とかモコサ食べた? *Warning* There is too much, I mean muchisimas, things to talk about in 11 months of living in Japan. This is just a small reflection of it. (: Ya ha pasado 11 meses!! Y no me la creo que rápido pasaron. 本当にはやい。さきではめちゃたいへんとチャレンジ!だけど頑張ってるとnot give up so quickly がめちゃいい。皆さんありがとうございました、めちゃやさしとあえてうれした。一番好きことは皆のあえてた! En una a ñ o se puede aprender mucho. Pero en un ano en otro pais aprendes mucho de todo, incluso de ti mismo. Los muchachos jovenes me inspiraron en ser mas estudiosa y acabar la escuela. La gente mayor me ense ñ o en ser mas humilde y de disfrutar lo del alrededor. La gente de hippo me ense ñ o que no importa de donde seas o que idioma hables somos humanos. So with this in mind I recommend you take a moment of your time and acknowledge the people around you. Enjoy their company, listen to there stories, and learn from them. Everyone has something to teach and we can all learn from one another. Don’t be af