Skip to main content

Ali- Introduction

Hello! (Ali)

       Hello! Let me introduce myself. My name is Alexandra Melling (but everyone calls me Ali). I am from the small town of Walla Walla, located in the southeastern corner of Washington state. Walla Walla is known for its numerous wineries, sweet onions, annual hot air balloon festival, and its role in the settling of the West.  During high school, my family had the privilege of hosting several Japanese exchange students through 4-H and a local sister city program. In 2006, I had the opportunity to visit one of these students in Hokkaido, Japan, who was a Hippo member. Two years later, I returned for a two month language study and homestay. In May of 2012, I graduated from Washington State University with a Bachelors of Arts in History and Social Studies education. However, having finished my studies, I decided there was one last thing I needed to do before starting the grueling task of finding a teaching position, return to Japan. Lo and behold, the company that facilitated my first exchange to Japan offered an internship and here I am!  

      So what's it like to live with a Japanese family? Well, it's wonderful! My host mom is a wonderful cook. I will never go hungry while living here.  I spend a lot of time with my host mom. When I am not working at the main office, I am doing activities with her. She work as a Hippo Fellow and is very busy with hosting and attending activities. We talk quite a bit, and as a result, my Japanese is getting much better. My host Dad is also very busy. He is a graphic designer. Usually the only time we see him is in the morning when the family eats together. My host sister is very involved with basketball. She plays on her elementary school team. Her last game she made a basket, she was so happy! My host brother very happy and lovable boy. He often comes into my room to play games, ask questions, and watch me put on my makeup. The other day he asked me why foreigners take showers in the morning.  Honestly, I had no idea how to reply... so I told him that if we don't, our hair gets big. :) I am really going to enjoy living here for the next three months.


       My host family lives in an area called Ota-ku, which is about a 35 minute train ride from Shibuya, where I work. Ota-ku has many small factories, each specializing in specific parts. One thing that Ota-ku is world famous for is making bobsled parts.  My host sibling school is just down the street. My host family lives on the first floor of an apartment building. The first floor has been designed so that they are actually houses. I believe that the house was recently remodeled (it's beautiful), so my family has not been living here for very long.   I have the privilege of staying in the family's Washitsu, or Japanese style room. I am also sleeping on a futon, it's actually comfy. I am slowing starting to get to know the area better. Each time my host mom and I go out, she takes me a different way. I now know that their are two stations within walking distance. 


        So I work from 2 to 4 times a week at the LEX Office in Shibuya. At the office I work on various activities. I am working on Powerpoints for future presentations I will be giving on American culture. I also help with the planning process for workshops (and eventually helping lead them). I also attend events the LEX is participating in. For example, Friday I went to a local college for a program. LEX is working with college's exchange program to allow exchange students to be adopted by Hippo Families. It's a great program because otherwise these students might not get the exposure to the family side of Japanese culture. Next month (or November I cant remember exactly), I will be interviewing potential high school exchange students bound for the US. However, I've been told that the first few months are slow and soon I will be extremely busy at the office. When I am not in the office I am attending Hippo Family Club meetings. 

Hope my post wasn`t too long. Until next time, bye!

~Ali

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sama Otsukare!!

Sama お疲れさまですした! 韓国の文化おしえてくれて감사합니다!! Nos vemos en cualquier parte del world!👋💫 Wait for the last Sama blog very soon!  サマのラストーのブログ待って下さい!!👐 Sama,いってらっしゃい!

こんにちはトゥーイです!From Thailand!

👋 เดือนสิงหาคม 2018  August 2018 8月 こんにちはタイからトゥーイです!✌ 今から1か月前日本に来た!とせんぶはすごい! เริ่มต้นด้วยการไป nature camp ที่นากาโนะ ได้นั่งรถไฟชินคังเซ็นเป็นครั้งแรก รู้สึกตื่นเต้นเอามากๆ พอถึงที่นากาโนะก็ต้องนั่งรถบัสต่อก่อนจะถึงที่พัก ได้มองเห็นวิวภูเขาที่ไม่เคยเห็นอีกด้วย มาแคมป์ครั้งนี้ได้เจอกับคนมากมาย ได้เพื่อนเป็นคนต่างชาติหลากหลายคนอย่างที่ไม่เคยคิดว่าจะเป็นไปได้ด้วย(ฮ่า) ที่แคมป์มีการแบ่งกลุ่มกันทำกิจกรรม ฉันได้อยู่กลุ่ม5 ทุกคนน่ารักมากๆ ใจดีกับฉัน เข้ามาคุยกับฉันทั้งๆที่ภาษาแตกต่างกัน แต่ทุกคนก็พยายามพูดภาษาอังกฤษที่ไม่ถนัด รู้สึกซาบซึ้งในใจเลย นอกจากจะได้เพื่อนแล้วยังได้ไปปีนเขา ไปปีนโขดหินตามแม่น้ำ เป็นประสบการณ์ใหม่ที่ตื่นเต้นและประทับใจสุดๆค่ะ Nature Camp make me a lot of friends. I'm happy to be everybody's friend.  And Nature Camp make me feel happy and excited when I standing in Nature. This photo, I take it while walking to park and Kenashi-Yama一番楽しかった. きれいな~!!💫 และในเดือนนี้ฉันก็ได้เริ่มทำขนมปังเองเป็นครั้งแรก(ทำกับโฮสพ่อ) เป็นขนมปังปอด์นธรรมดา และ

¡Ya me voy a mi casita en Oregon!

お母さん, お父さん お父さんがめちゃやさしい  いつもはモコサ大丈夫とかモコサ食べた? *Warning* There is too much, I mean muchisimas, things to talk about in 11 months of living in Japan. This is just a small reflection of it. (: Ya ha pasado 11 meses!! Y no me la creo que rápido pasaron. 本当にはやい。さきではめちゃたいへんとチャレンジ!だけど頑張ってるとnot give up so quickly がめちゃいい。皆さんありがとうございました、めちゃやさしとあえてうれした。一番好きことは皆のあえてた! En una a ñ o se puede aprender mucho. Pero en un ano en otro pais aprendes mucho de todo, incluso de ti mismo. Los muchachos jovenes me inspiraron en ser mas estudiosa y acabar la escuela. La gente mayor me ense ñ o en ser mas humilde y de disfrutar lo del alrededor. La gente de hippo me ense ñ o que no importa de donde seas o que idioma hables somos humanos. So with this in mind I recommend you take a moment of your time and acknowledge the people around you. Enjoy their company, listen to there stories, and learn from them. Everyone has something to teach and we can all learn from one another. Don’t be af