Skip to main content

Daniel- Korea

Korea [韓国] (Daniel)

Beside Japan, Hippo Family Club also has a division in Korea, based in Seoul. Being the wonderful company that it is, Hippo Japan sent me to Hippo Korea to participate in a upcoming camp for exchange students.

At the airport in Korea, I was met by Guri-Guri-san, a Japanese Hippo member currently in Korea through WIP [World Internship Project]. He asked me what I wanted to do first, and I promptly replied; "I want to go to GUNGNAM!"
You see, I've always thought it would be cool to dance Gungnam Style in Gungnam-gu, a very fancy district of Seoul.
With that, we were off to Gungnam-gu, where I danced Gungnam in Gungnam.
IMG_1495.jpg
IMG_1497.jpg
I'm sure everyone knows about PSY and his world-famous Gungnam Style song and dance. But, my parents also read this blog and I don't think they know. So, the following video is for you, Mom and Dad:
Now, I have my own Gungnam Style video!
Aside from Gungdam-ing in Gungdam, I had fun just looking around and making observations of Seoul and the Korean people.
I thought Korea was going to look like a mini-Japan, since Korea was colonized by the Japanese until the 1940's. Well, the airport, Gangnum, and the center of Seoul did resemble Japan a bit. But as soon as I left the city and went into the suburbs - the environment was completely different! Seoul has more trees than Tokyo and tons of identical high-rise apartment buildings that make it look kinda like Russia.
IMG_1563.jpg
IMG_1566.jpg
Another thing I found interesting was the amount of churches. Churches everywhere! And they are easily identifiable by their tall steeples with crosses that glow in red or white at night. You can count multiple crosses from anywhere in Seoul, and I remember once counting 8 from a certain point where I was standing.
churches.png
Lastly, I enjoyed the large amount of advertisements that used Korean pop stars to lure bait. K-pop is a huge industry, quite popular in the US as well as Japan. K-Pop stars can really sell.
IMG_1505.jpg
I remember seeing the above ad and was almost convinced to by some DUN.SUM.COOL -- just so that I could feel like "part of the band..." :) "
Spending time in Korea was great, and I'm very happy for the experience. I'll write more about my Korean adventure in upcoming posts...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sama Otsukare!!

Sama お疲れさまですした! 韓国の文化おしえてくれて감사합니다!! Nos vemos en cualquier parte del world!👋💫 Wait for the last Sama blog very soon!  サマのラストーのブログ待って下さい!!👐 Sama,いってらっしゃい!

Stephanie-こんにちは!Konnichiwa! Hello!

こんにちは!Konnichiwa! Hello! My host sister Asuka and I in 小えど, Japan Hi everyone!  My name is Stephanie, but in Japan I've already been given the nickname  Su-chan  す-ちゃん    (su from Stephanie since the Japanese pronunciation is su-teh-fah-nee, and -chan is added to the end of a name when you are speaking to a younger person or a friend), so you can call me Su-chan! I am one of the five Hippo interns working in the LEX headquarters office in Tokyo this year. In addition to me, from Wisconsin, the intern team is made up of Tino from Mexico, Sakun and Ken Ken from China, and Hiu-chan from Korea. It's great to have such an international group!    Before coming to Japan I attended the University of Wisconsin and graduated with a degree in fine art. During that time I also worked for Wisconsin 4-H International Programs, which is how I first learned about Hippo through the 4-H/Hippo summer and yearlong exchanges. Last summer I had the opportun...

Michael- Arrival in Japan

Arrival In Japan What an experience! I'm Michael Gobin. I will be the 2009-2010 LEX Intern in the Tokyo Office. LEX America has been telling you a lot about me, so I won't take a lot of space on introductions. I will be contributing to this blog a couple times a month over the next year. However, my mentor here in the office is gone on a multi-country adventure for the next week, so I will be spending those days contributing more often. I'll try to paint a picture of what my first few days in Japan have been like. Even though I spent 14 hours on a plane headed to Japan. It wasn't until I took those first steps off the plane that it hit me like I walked through a curtain that I was in Japan. First of all, it was immediately warmer. Kana went from being an equal language in places where it mattered, to everywhere with English only as a back-up in the important areas. Most importantly though, I became completely illiterate and that's when I knew the adventure h...