Skip to main content

Daniel- Birthday

Birthday [誕生日] (Daniel)


Getting old - it's an inevitable part of life. But, on March 23, 2013, I had an amazing time getting old alongside my Japanese friends and family.

I think the last time I celebrated my birthday was when I was 10 or 12 years old. I realized at a young age that big birthday bashes were a big hassle, and I didn't see the fun in planning, organizing, and then running around the party to make sure my guests were having a good time.
This year, however, my host family decided to throw a birthday party for me and invite all our HIPPO friends to participate. I was fine with that -- if someone else throws me a party, I wouldn't have to hassle myself or feel any pressure. Bring on the part-tay!
March 23rd, a Saturday, began like any other ordinary day. That quickly changed when the mailman came in the morning and presented me with a big surprise.
AEC42B792219AC6817FDE1817631B336.jpg
Wow! International Mail Package #2!
My parents (with the help of some relatives this time) sent me yet another package filled with goodies from America. I guess I kinda-maybe-sometimes complain that fruit in Japan is too expensive, so the package was mostly composed of dried fruit. Oh, and lots of socks. My mom asked if it was cold and if I needed any socks before she sent the package, to which I replied "no". But, for some reason, I guess she still decided I need socks. Um, okay. I love my mom :)
AEE5979F2219AC681702665E172B9659.jpg
My par-tay wasn't until evening, so a few friends and I planned to go out for hanami before the par-tay started. In Spring, Japan is covered with beautiful pink cheery blossoms, and Japanese people enjoy having picnics under them -- an activity called hanami.
When I arrived, I was surprised to find not a few people (like we had planned) but a group of 11 friends! I guess word of my pre-par-tay hanami par-tay got out, and many friends decided to come and join. I love my friends :)
IMG_1106.jpg
We decided to go to Ueno Park, which is definitely the place to go if you find yourself in Tokyo and want to do some hanami. It has more than 1000 cherry blossoms and a long alleyway to walk under them.
...and just like everywhere in Japan, Ueno park was crazy crowded. I guess word about my pre-par-tay hanami par-tay in Ueno Park really got out, because ALL of Japan came to celebrate with us.
IMG_1105.jpg
After we couldn't find a place to sit in the crowded park, we finally settled in an off-limits area (oops), and started our hanami with the heaping mountain of snacks and drinks.
AF530EA12219AC6817566A2AF473D8ED.jpg
After hanami-ing, we cleaned up and a group of us got ready for my real birthday par-tay that same evening.
IMG_1127.jpg
When we arrived, my friends were ushered in and I was told to wait outside of the door. I assumed to find a few HIPPO members inside, maybe some friends of my family, oh, and probably even some Russians who came to HIPPO the week before to participate in home-stays.
When I was finally let in, I realized that I was completely wrong. It was not a par-tay. It was an Ō-ban-buru-mai.
An Ō-ban-buru-mai is the Japanese word for a big, big lavish party - kind of like the parties thrown by Gatsby in The Great Gatsby.
[By the way, the word "Gatsby" has a completely different meaning in Japanese culture. In Japan, Gatsby is the name of a hair gel for men. Once, I asked my Japanese friends if they knew about The Great Gatsby, and they all simultaneously began singing and dancing to the song from the Gatsby hair gel commercial. It was quite funny.]
Anyway, the moment I walked into my Ō-ban-buru-mai, I was greeted by a parade of people who had gathered from all over the Tokyo area to celebrate my birthday with me.
AF5DF2552219AC681785C03083B6B3F0.jpg
I was expecting my host family to throw me a small get-together, but I was shocked to find a big, beautifully decorated room and tons of people. A real Ō-ban-buru-mai.
I was so shocked that I couldn't find words to say. The below picture fully conveys the emotions I was feeling at that moment:
AF6E3A8B2219AC6817D0B93EC697D08B.jpg
Next, we began to eat. No! I'm sorry ... I mean feast. We began to feast. They do not eat at Ō-ban-buru-mai's. They feast.
There was a TON of food, and after eating it, my host mom rolled out a cart with a ginormous birthday cake that she had baked herself.
IMG_1108.jpg
The cake said "Daniel, Happy 20th Birthday" and included a drawing of my face in portrait. IT WAS HUGE! It made Costo look like it was selling cupcakes for kids. I can't believe my host mom baked that. I love my host mom :)
IMG_1112.jpg
After eating cake, we watched a slideshow of my time in Japan, danced to SADA, and listened to people give me birthday wishes. There were even video birthday wishes from friends who couldn't come to my Ō-ban-buru-mai, including last years Hippo intern, Sakkun, now currently in Canada. It was very touching - I even let some tears drop.
The mass of people who came to my Ō-ban-buru-mai also included two friends from my Japanese church. Seeing them was also a huge surprise - I keep HIPPO and church totally separate. How did church people come to my Ō-ban-buru-mai? I later found out that my host mom secretly contacted my church and invited them. And even though there was another church event that day, they still decided to come. I love my church :)
IMG_1114.jpg
After my Ō-ban-buru-mai ended and I returned home, I used all of the presents I had received to create a mini memorial for myself.
IMG_1136.jpg
IMG_1141.jpg
It was difficult to wrap my head around the fact that March 23rd began like any other ordinary Saturday. By the time the day was over, I had received a package from America, hanami'ed at Ueno Park, celebrated an Ō-ban-buru-mai, and received enough presents to make myself a memorial. Wow.
IMG_1137.jpg
The entire day was an overload of surprises and emotions. I so fortunate to have this amazing opportunity. I am particularly grateful for such a awesome host family, who took the time to plan something so wonderful for me. I am moved beyond words. I love my host family :)
IMG_1140.jpg
--------------------------------------------------------
The Ō-ban-buru-mai was not the end of my birthday festivities. At the office on Monday, my co-workers surprised me with a cake that was covered in fruit, and a bag of some quality brown rice (my favorite Japanese food).
E2A5AB0B2219AC6817B21AF6BACBC5CC.jpg
E2A960952219AC681728FFF629821AE2.jpg
But that's not all. The next day, some other HIPPO members took me out to a fancy French restaurant and surprised me with some fancy birthday dessert
IMG_1164.jpg
Oh wait. There's more. The day after that, during a HIPPO club meetings for college students, the members surprised me by singing "Happy Birthday" and giving me tons of my favorite thing in the world, FRUIT!
E2B0E0D82219AC6817C48DC0399FB9BE.jpg
IMG_1179.jpg
Wow. I have never celebrated my birthday in a four day period before. Definitely the best birthday ever.
I love Japan. :)
I love everyone in Japan. :)
I love everything. :)
IMG_1181.jpg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sama Otsukare!!

Sama お疲れさまですした! 韓国の文化おしえてくれて감사합니다!! Nos vemos en cualquier parte del world!👋💫 Wait for the last Sama blog very soon!  サマのラストーのブログ待って下さい!!👐 Sama,いってらっしゃい!

こんにちはトゥーイです!From Thailand!

👋 เดือนสิงหาคม 2018  August 2018 8月 こんにちはタイからトゥーイです!✌ 今から1か月前日本に来た!とせんぶはすごい! เริ่มต้นด้วยการไป nature camp ที่นากาโนะ ได้นั่งรถไฟชินคังเซ็นเป็นครั้งแรก รู้สึกตื่นเต้นเอามากๆ พอถึงที่นากาโนะก็ต้องนั่งรถบัสต่อก่อนจะถึงที่พัก ได้มองเห็นวิวภูเขาที่ไม่เคยเห็นอีกด้วย มาแคมป์ครั้งนี้ได้เจอกับคนมากมาย ได้เพื่อนเป็นคนต่างชาติหลากหลายคนอย่างที่ไม่เคยคิดว่าจะเป็นไปได้ด้วย(ฮ่า) ที่แคมป์มีการแบ่งกลุ่มกันทำกิจกรรม ฉันได้อยู่กลุ่ม5 ทุกคนน่ารักมากๆ ใจดีกับฉัน เข้ามาคุยกับฉันทั้งๆที่ภาษาแตกต่างกัน แต่ทุกคนก็พยายามพูดภาษาอังกฤษที่ไม่ถนัด รู้สึกซาบซึ้งในใจเลย นอกจากจะได้เพื่อนแล้วยังได้ไปปีนเขา ไปปีนโขดหินตามแม่น้ำ เป็นประสบการณ์ใหม่ที่ตื่นเต้นและประทับใจสุดๆค่ะ Nature Camp make me a lot of friends. I'm happy to be everybody's friend.  And Nature Camp make me feel happy and excited when I standing in Nature. This photo, I take it while walking to park and Kenashi-Yama一番楽しかった. きれいな~!!💫 และในเดือนนี้ฉันก็ได้เริ่มทำขนมปังเองเป็นครั้งแรก(ทำกับโฮสพ่อ) เป็นขนมปังปอด์นธรรมดา และ

¡Ya me voy a mi casita en Oregon!

お母さん, お父さん お父さんがめちゃやさしい  いつもはモコサ大丈夫とかモコサ食べた? *Warning* There is too much, I mean muchisimas, things to talk about in 11 months of living in Japan. This is just a small reflection of it. (: Ya ha pasado 11 meses!! Y no me la creo que rápido pasaron. 本当にはやい。さきではめちゃたいへんとチャレンジ!だけど頑張ってるとnot give up so quickly がめちゃいい。皆さんありがとうございました、めちゃやさしとあえてうれした。一番好きことは皆のあえてた! En una a ñ o se puede aprender mucho. Pero en un ano en otro pais aprendes mucho de todo, incluso de ti mismo. Los muchachos jovenes me inspiraron en ser mas estudiosa y acabar la escuela. La gente mayor me ense ñ o en ser mas humilde y de disfrutar lo del alrededor. La gente de hippo me ense ñ o que no importa de donde seas o que idioma hables somos humanos. So with this in mind I recommend you take a moment of your time and acknowledge the people around you. Enjoy their company, listen to there stories, and learn from them. Everyone has something to teach and we can all learn from one another. Don’t be af