Skip to main content

Daniel- Seijinshiki

Seijinshiki [成人式] (Daniel)


No, I did not just bang the keyboard in the heading to make the title say "Seijinshiki." Seijinshiki is an actual Japanese word, pronounced say-jin-she-ki, which is the name of the Coming of Age ceremony in Japan.
In Japan, a person is considered to be an adult when they turn 20, and a ceremony is held especially for them. On that day, the 20 year old girls wear kimonos, boys wear suits or hakamas, and they go to the Seijinshiki ceremony at a local city office.
One evening a few months ago, I received an invitation from the Japanese government inviting me to participate in Seijinshiki, too. Even though I won't be 20 until March, I was still invited because the Japanese school year is from April to March, placing me in the same grade as everyone else who already turned 20. The Japanese expression used in this situation is "giri-giri safe" [which means "just barely made it".]
711576_412.._35077325_n.jpg
My host sister, who goes to university in Osaka, also turned 20 in November and we went to Seijinshiki together. She wore my host mother's kimono and my host family rented a red hakama for me :)
IMGP0644.jpgIMGP0646.jpg
The morning of the ceremony was cloudy and a light rain was falling. However, maybe an hour before the event, it began to snow. It doesn't usually snow in Tokyo, so it was very special. My family said that I am lucky and the snow fell especially for me.
IMGP0650.jpg
However, the snow kept falling. And falling. And falling. What started as simple snowflakes turned into a hardcore blizzard. A few hours later, EVERYTHING was covered in snow and it felt like it had been snowing for days.

IMG_0809.jpg
The ceremony itself made me feel as though I fell into a sea of suits and kimonos. All of the young adults where walking around, chatting with friends, and taking photos.
IMG_0794.jpgIMG_0796.jpgIMG_0797.jpg
Being a big and burly Caucasian man, it was not very difficult to notice me. I received lots of stares and puzzled looks from everyone. It almost made me feel like a Seijinshiki crasher or something. I even got interviewed twice, once for television and once for the newspaper. :)
IMG_0802.jpg
I think there was another event immediately after the ceremony, because once the ceremony ended, an announcement told everyone to leave the building. Staff members began ushering everyone outside into the freezing snow blizzard. All of the boys in their suits and girls in their kimonos had nothing to do but to stand in the falling snow.
IMG_0803.jpg
All of the girls and some boys who decided to wear hakamas, myself included, had a difficult time standing in the snow since we were also wearing tabi [traditional socks] and zori [traditional flip-flops] along with our kimonos and hakamas. Oh and no coats, either.
Our parents couldn't pick us up due to heavy traffic and our host dad was having trouble putting chains on the car tires. We couldn't take a taxi because taxis and buses were having trouble driving in the snow. Everyone just stood outside in the snow not knowing what to do or how to get home.
We finally decided that the best thing to do was to walk to the nearest train station, maybe 15 minutes away, in the blizzard.
IMG_0806.jpgIMG_0807.jpg
Walking on snow in socks is a pretty painful experience. Within minutes, my feet were numb and I could not feel them when we arrived at the station.

To our disappointment, all of the trains at the station had stopped due to heavy snowfall. I took off my soaking wet tabi socks and walked around the station barefoot.
However, my host dad was finally able to put chains on the car tires and come to the station to get us. From the station, we drove to a picture studio where we made ourselves pretty again and took some family photos.
131301140027022.jpg131301140027013.jpg131301140027040.jpg
All in all, I had a great experience and it was a very memorable Seijinshiki :)
IMGP0657.jpgIMGP0659.jpg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sama Otsukare!!

Sama お疲れさまですした! 韓国の文化おしえてくれて감사합니다!! Nos vemos en cualquier parte del world!👋💫 Wait for the last Sama blog very soon!  サマのラストーのブログ待って下さい!!👐 Sama,いってらっしゃい!

Maddie- ごちそうさま - Eating Well

ごちそうさま - Eating Well Signs advertising  shirasu , tiny fish famous in Kamakura Today I would like to discuss a topic that is near and dear to my heart...food culture. It`s well known among my friends and family--and heck, probably anyone that I`ve had a substantial conversation with--I absolutely LOVE food. I love cooking, I love eating, I love talking about food, and I love talking about food WHILE eating food...It`s a subject that I never tire of! So naturally, it makes sense that I would hold interest in Japan`s food culture. When I came back in August, I brought with me a desire to taste and learn. Not only did I hope to sample a wide variety of Japanese cuisine, but also to try my own hand at preparing a variety of dishes. Part of the requirements for my visa is some sort of cultural learning. For this reason, American interns are expected to select an aspect of Japanese culture to study. Naturally, I had selected food. In order to fulfill this requirement, I ...

Hayley- Looking back

Looking Back The Month in Review: As we begin February, it is time for me  to write my monthly report. Technically speaking, I haven’t  been in Japan for a month yet, but this report covers all  that I have done in January. As part of the report, I put together a summary of different categories within my life.  While the following is rather dry, I thought my blog readers  might find it interesting and informative. Host Family: I have a wonderful host family, and I’ve enjoyed settling in and getting to know them. My 8-year-old host brother has adjusted to me, and we get along very well. My 13-year-old host sister has been a great help as I learn Japanese; she has a notebook where she writes down new Japanese words and phrases that I am learning. Sugoi-ne! My host parents are wonderful. My host mom makes me feel like part of the family. She understands about the little things that make one feel “included” in family life. Something as smal...