Skip to main content

Daniel- Happy New Year!

Happy New Year! (Daniel)

あけましておめでとう!!
New Years is probably my favorite holiday because it is the only time I am expected to hang out with friends all night long.

z_1961477b.jpg

This is the first time I'm celebrating New Years in another land, far away from my friends and the mandatory оливье. Still, I had fun learning the Japanese customs and traditions during New Years.

Japanese people usually head to their hometowns to celebrate New Years with their extended families, causing train stations and airports to be crazy crowded. My host family and I traveled to Osaka, my host mom's hometown, to celebrate New Years with her parents.

Most of our five days in Osaka were spent sitting around the kotatsu reading, sleeping, or watching TV. We greeted the New Year by watching a live-broadcast of Japan's most popular artists and celebrities performing famous songs. Four hours and fifteen minutes of J-Pop O.o

Though I was far away from my оливье, I enjoyed having an authentic experience eating traditional Japanese food. On the first day of the New Year, Japanese people eat osechi - a big bento box full of food symbolizing long life and prosperity.

IMG_0733.jpg

On the first days of January, Japanese people go to a shrine to throw coins into a wooden box, ring bells, and pray for blessings in the New Year. Japan is congested as it is, so when everyone decides to go to the shrine at once, the result is tons of people waiting in long snake-like lines. Popular shines in Tokyo and Osaka have as many as 3 million visitors during the first three days of January.

With my host parents and grandparents at the Shine.
2D1982A02219AC68175BBEAFF70C785F.jpg


What I enjoyed most about my New Years vacation was a day trip to the nearby city of Kyoto. Kyoto used to be Japan's capitol before Tokyo and is distinguished by many old traditional buildings and beautiful nature.

The buildings in Kyoto are old and the streets are narrow, and some areas make you feel like you just transported into medieval Japan.



IMG_0713.jpg

The government has worked hard to preserve the cultural significance of the city, even placing a height limit on buildings and a ban on blinking advertisements in order to keep the traditional atmosphere. It isn't uncommon to find people walking around in kimonos and hakamas or even see a geisha here and there. Another thing that makes this city so interesting is the abundance of ancient shrines and temples.

2CD0025E2219AC68173E7AEA18719E63.jpg


 BIG BUDDHA!  
2CD5CAD12219AC68178BC93B5D12D581.jpg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sama Otsukare!!

Sama お疲れさまですした! 韓国の文化おしえてくれて감사합니다!! Nos vemos en cualquier parte del world!👋💫 Wait for the last Sama blog very soon!  サマのラストーのブログ待って下さい!!👐 Sama,いってらっしゃい!

Stephanie-こんにちは!Konnichiwa! Hello!

こんにちは!Konnichiwa! Hello! My host sister Asuka and I in 小えど, Japan Hi everyone!  My name is Stephanie, but in Japan I've already been given the nickname  Su-chan  す-ちゃん    (su from Stephanie since the Japanese pronunciation is su-teh-fah-nee, and -chan is added to the end of a name when you are speaking to a younger person or a friend), so you can call me Su-chan! I am one of the five Hippo interns working in the LEX headquarters office in Tokyo this year. In addition to me, from Wisconsin, the intern team is made up of Tino from Mexico, Sakun and Ken Ken from China, and Hiu-chan from Korea. It's great to have such an international group!    Before coming to Japan I attended the University of Wisconsin and graduated with a degree in fine art. During that time I also worked for Wisconsin 4-H International Programs, which is how I first learned about Hippo through the 4-H/Hippo summer and yearlong exchanges. Last summer I had the opportun...

Maddie- ごちそうさま - Eating Well

ごちそうさま - Eating Well Signs advertising  shirasu , tiny fish famous in Kamakura Today I would like to discuss a topic that is near and dear to my heart...food culture. It`s well known among my friends and family--and heck, probably anyone that I`ve had a substantial conversation with--I absolutely LOVE food. I love cooking, I love eating, I love talking about food, and I love talking about food WHILE eating food...It`s a subject that I never tire of! So naturally, it makes sense that I would hold interest in Japan`s food culture. When I came back in August, I brought with me a desire to taste and learn. Not only did I hope to sample a wide variety of Japanese cuisine, but also to try my own hand at preparing a variety of dishes. Part of the requirements for my visa is some sort of cultural learning. For this reason, American interns are expected to select an aspect of Japanese culture to study. Naturally, I had selected food. In order to fulfill this requirement, I ...