Skip to main content

Daniel- Happy New Year!

Happy New Year! (Daniel)

あけましておめでとう!!
New Years is probably my favorite holiday because it is the only time I am expected to hang out with friends all night long.

z_1961477b.jpg

This is the first time I'm celebrating New Years in another land, far away from my friends and the mandatory оливье. Still, I had fun learning the Japanese customs and traditions during New Years.

Japanese people usually head to their hometowns to celebrate New Years with their extended families, causing train stations and airports to be crazy crowded. My host family and I traveled to Osaka, my host mom's hometown, to celebrate New Years with her parents.

Most of our five days in Osaka were spent sitting around the kotatsu reading, sleeping, or watching TV. We greeted the New Year by watching a live-broadcast of Japan's most popular artists and celebrities performing famous songs. Four hours and fifteen minutes of J-Pop O.o

Though I was far away from my оливье, I enjoyed having an authentic experience eating traditional Japanese food. On the first day of the New Year, Japanese people eat osechi - a big bento box full of food symbolizing long life and prosperity.

IMG_0733.jpg

On the first days of January, Japanese people go to a shrine to throw coins into a wooden box, ring bells, and pray for blessings in the New Year. Japan is congested as it is, so when everyone decides to go to the shrine at once, the result is tons of people waiting in long snake-like lines. Popular shines in Tokyo and Osaka have as many as 3 million visitors during the first three days of January.

With my host parents and grandparents at the Shine.
2D1982A02219AC68175BBEAFF70C785F.jpg


What I enjoyed most about my New Years vacation was a day trip to the nearby city of Kyoto. Kyoto used to be Japan's capitol before Tokyo and is distinguished by many old traditional buildings and beautiful nature.

The buildings in Kyoto are old and the streets are narrow, and some areas make you feel like you just transported into medieval Japan.



IMG_0713.jpg

The government has worked hard to preserve the cultural significance of the city, even placing a height limit on buildings and a ban on blinking advertisements in order to keep the traditional atmosphere. It isn't uncommon to find people walking around in kimonos and hakamas or even see a geisha here and there. Another thing that makes this city so interesting is the abundance of ancient shrines and temples.

2CD0025E2219AC68173E7AEA18719E63.jpg


 BIG BUDDHA!  
2CD5CAD12219AC68178BC93B5D12D581.jpg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sama Otsukare!!

Sama お疲れさまですした! 韓国の文化おしえてくれて감사합니다!! Nos vemos en cualquier parte del world!👋💫 Wait for the last Sama blog very soon!  サマのラストーのブログ待って下さい!!👐 Sama,いってらっしゃい!

こんにちはトゥーイです!From Thailand!

👋 เดือนสิงหาคม 2018  August 2018 8月 こんにちはタイからトゥーイです!✌ 今から1か月前日本に来た!とせんぶはすごい! เริ่มต้นด้วยการไป nature camp ที่นากาโนะ ได้นั่งรถไฟชินคังเซ็นเป็นครั้งแรก รู้สึกตื่นเต้นเอามากๆ พอถึงที่นากาโนะก็ต้องนั่งรถบัสต่อก่อนจะถึงที่พัก ได้มองเห็นวิวภูเขาที่ไม่เคยเห็นอีกด้วย มาแคมป์ครั้งนี้ได้เจอกับคนมากมาย ได้เพื่อนเป็นคนต่างชาติหลากหลายคนอย่างที่ไม่เคยคิดว่าจะเป็นไปได้ด้วย(ฮ่า) ที่แคมป์มีการแบ่งกลุ่มกันทำกิจกรรม ฉันได้อยู่กลุ่ม5 ทุกคนน่ารักมากๆ ใจดีกับฉัน เข้ามาคุยกับฉันทั้งๆที่ภาษาแตกต่างกัน แต่ทุกคนก็พยายามพูดภาษาอังกฤษที่ไม่ถนัด รู้สึกซาบซึ้งในใจเลย นอกจากจะได้เพื่อนแล้วยังได้ไปปีนเขา ไปปีนโขดหินตามแม่น้ำ เป็นประสบการณ์ใหม่ที่ตื่นเต้นและประทับใจสุดๆค่ะ Nature Camp make me a lot of friends. I'm happy to be everybody's friend.  And Nature Camp make me feel happy and excited when I standing in Nature. This photo, I take it while walking to park and Kenashi-Yama一番楽しかった. きれいな~!!💫 และในเดือนนี้ฉันก็ได้เริ่มทำขนมปังเองเป็นครั้งแรก(ทำกับโฮสพ่อ) เป็นขนมปังปอด์นธรรมดา และ

¡Ya me voy a mi casita en Oregon!

お母さん, お父さん お父さんがめちゃやさしい  いつもはモコサ大丈夫とかモコサ食べた? *Warning* There is too much, I mean muchisimas, things to talk about in 11 months of living in Japan. This is just a small reflection of it. (: Ya ha pasado 11 meses!! Y no me la creo que rápido pasaron. 本当にはやい。さきではめちゃたいへんとチャレンジ!だけど頑張ってるとnot give up so quickly がめちゃいい。皆さんありがとうございました、めちゃやさしとあえてうれした。一番好きことは皆のあえてた! En una a ñ o se puede aprender mucho. Pero en un ano en otro pais aprendes mucho de todo, incluso de ti mismo. Los muchachos jovenes me inspiraron en ser mas estudiosa y acabar la escuela. La gente mayor me ense ñ o en ser mas humilde y de disfrutar lo del alrededor. La gente de hippo me ense ñ o que no importa de donde seas o que idioma hables somos humanos. So with this in mind I recommend you take a moment of your time and acknowledge the people around you. Enjoy their company, listen to there stories, and learn from them. Everyone has something to teach and we can all learn from one another. Don’t be af