Skip to main content

Daniel- Food

Food 「食べ物」 (Daniel)

HOW can I spend an entire year in a foreign land and not write about the food I eat?
I cannot.
Therefore, I shall write.

So, Japanese food. What is it like? 
...



Rice. Everyday. A bowl of rice is served with every meal. Due to extensive rainfall during the summer, Japan is the ideal place for rice irrigation. As a result, rice is a staple item and is eaten daily by the Japanese.

The Japanese word for rice is gohan. If you're like me and loved the Dragon Ball-Z anime as a kid, the word "gohan" is easy to remember since it's the name of one of the main characters. Interestingly enough, breakfast in Japanese is called "asagohan" [morning rice]. Lunch is called "hirugohan" [afternoon rice]. Dinner is called "bangohan" [evening rice]. The word for every meal has the word rice in it. Interesting.

No matter what you eat; rice is usually served in a serperate bowl. Actually, everything is served in separate bowls. Traditional Japanese style does not mix foods and tastes. So instead of taking food from a center dish and putting it onto your plate, food is served to you in several small bowls. Besides that, all food is brought to you at once. Instead of eating soups and salads first and the entree second, everything is served together for you to eat at the same time.


I was extremely fortunate to be placed into a host family that cooks amazing Japanese food. Every day, my host mom prepares something new and delicious. My favorite meal is probably "shabu-shabu".
IMG_0112.jpg
Shabu-Shabu: A pot of boiling water and vegetables is placed in the middle of the table and each person is given a plate of raw meat slices. Everyone uses their chop-sticks to "swish" around their meat in the big pot, cooking it themselves. "Shabu-shabu" directly translates to "swish-swish" in English, due to the swishing sound that is made while the meat gets cooked.


Beside rice and shabu-shabu, Japanese cuisine is made up of a large variety of different foods. It would take a while for me to list them all, but here are some that I find interesting:
  • Soba noodles - long, thin gray noodles made from buckwheat.
  • Okonomiyaki - a thick omelet-pancake covered in sauce and filled with eggs and vegetables.
  • Takoyaki - diced octopus inside of a fried ball of dough.
  • Tempura - deep fried seafood.
  • Natto - fermented soybeans.
  • Sashimi / Sushi - these do not need any explanation. Everyone knows what they are. But for some strange reason, all of my friends and family in America think that all I have to eat is sushi and sashimi. Japan is much more than sushi and sashimi. Much, much more.

I think that the coolest thing I ate here was a black egg. A black egg with a green shell.

IMG_0342.jpg

Black eggs are traditionally from China and are known as "century eggs". Century eggs get their black color after being preserved in clay, ash, and ammonia for about a month. The result is an egg that is totally black.
 
IMG_0338.jpg

Even with the variety of new and tasty foods that I am eating, I cannot help but miss some food I took for granted back home. Sometimes I have huge peanut butter cravings. Sometimes I am blown away the prices in restaurants and I miss cheap Chipotle burritos. But most of all, I miss the abundance of fruit.
 
I remember walking into a Japanese convenience store and was astonished to find that two apples cost ¥389 [$4.63].

Fruits are max-expensive. I used to think this was because Japan imported all of its fruit since there was no space to grow it. But apparently, the Japanese government subsidizes Japanese fruit farmers in order to keep out cheap foreign fruit competition. This, as well as meticulous farming practices and an obsession with creating perfect fruit, leads to high fruit prices and a sad 2012-2013 Hippo Intern.

Four apples for ¥780 [$9.28]

IMG_0653_2_.jpg


One pear for ¥498 [$5.93]
IMG_0654_1_.jpg


One melon for ¥980 [$11.66]
IMG_0655_1_.jpg




In fact, there is a store in Tokyo named Senbikiya that is world famous for selling exquisite fruit gift-baskets. Apples cost $25, a dozen strawberries cost $83, and three melons cost $419.

However, adjusting to life in a foreign country also means adjusting to a new lifestyle. Although I miss eating barrels of fruit every day, this small sacrifice has made it possible for me to have amazing experiences I could never have anywhere else.
 
One of these experiences includes the time I ate Kobe Beef in the city of Kobe. Kobe beef cows, known as Wagyu, are fed special beer and get massaged to increase marbling and improve muscle tone. I've always wanted to eat Kobe Beef in Kobe, and during my trip to Osaka last month, I was finally able to do it.


Kobe Beef in Kobe!

IMG_0558.jpg










LOTS MORE OF AMAZING ADVENTURES TO COME!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sama Otsukare!!

Sama お疲れさまですした! 韓国の文化おしえてくれて감사합니다!! Nos vemos en cualquier parte del world!👋💫 Wait for the last Sama blog very soon!  サマのラストーのブログ待って下さい!!👐 Sama,いってらっしゃい!

こんにちはトゥーイです!From Thailand!

👋 เดือนสิงหาคม 2018  August 2018 8月 こんにちはタイからトゥーイです!✌ 今から1か月前日本に来た!とせんぶはすごい! เริ่มต้นด้วยการไป nature camp ที่นากาโนะ ได้นั่งรถไฟชินคังเซ็นเป็นครั้งแรก รู้สึกตื่นเต้นเอามากๆ พอถึงที่นากาโนะก็ต้องนั่งรถบัสต่อก่อนจะถึงที่พัก ได้มองเห็นวิวภูเขาที่ไม่เคยเห็นอีกด้วย มาแคมป์ครั้งนี้ได้เจอกับคนมากมาย ได้เพื่อนเป็นคนต่างชาติหลากหลายคนอย่างที่ไม่เคยคิดว่าจะเป็นไปได้ด้วย(ฮ่า) ที่แคมป์มีการแบ่งกลุ่มกันทำกิจกรรม ฉันได้อยู่กลุ่ม5 ทุกคนน่ารักมากๆ ใจดีกับฉัน เข้ามาคุยกับฉันทั้งๆที่ภาษาแตกต่างกัน แต่ทุกคนก็พยายามพูดภาษาอังกฤษที่ไม่ถนัด รู้สึกซาบซึ้งในใจเลย นอกจากจะได้เพื่อนแล้วยังได้ไปปีนเขา ไปปีนโขดหินตามแม่น้ำ เป็นประสบการณ์ใหม่ที่ตื่นเต้นและประทับใจสุดๆค่ะ Nature Camp make me a lot of friends. I'm happy to be everybody's friend.  And Nature Camp make me feel happy and excited when I standing in Nature. This photo, I take it while walking to park and Kenashi-Yama一番楽しかった. きれいな~!!💫 และในเดือนนี้ฉันก็ได้เริ่มทำขนมปังเองเป็นครั้งแรก(ทำกับโฮสพ่อ) เป็นขนมปังปอด์นธรรมดา และ

¡Ya me voy a mi casita en Oregon!

お母さん, お父さん お父さんがめちゃやさしい  いつもはモコサ大丈夫とかモコサ食べた? *Warning* There is too much, I mean muchisimas, things to talk about in 11 months of living in Japan. This is just a small reflection of it. (: Ya ha pasado 11 meses!! Y no me la creo que rápido pasaron. 本当にはやい。さきではめちゃたいへんとチャレンジ!だけど頑張ってるとnot give up so quickly がめちゃいい。皆さんありがとうございました、めちゃやさしとあえてうれした。一番好きことは皆のあえてた! En una a ñ o se puede aprender mucho. Pero en un ano en otro pais aprendes mucho de todo, incluso de ti mismo. Los muchachos jovenes me inspiraron en ser mas estudiosa y acabar la escuela. La gente mayor me ense ñ o en ser mas humilde y de disfrutar lo del alrededor. La gente de hippo me ense ñ o que no importa de donde seas o que idioma hables somos humanos. So with this in mind I recommend you take a moment of your time and acknowledge the people around you. Enjoy their company, listen to there stories, and learn from them. Everyone has something to teach and we can all learn from one another. Don’t be af