Skip to main content

Stephanie- Japanese Ceramics Cultural Project

Japanese Ceramics Cultural Project

As I mentioned in previous blogs, part of my internship was completing a cultural project - studying some aspect of Japanese culture that interests me - which for me was focused on Japanese ceramics.  I ended up making pottery in a little studio near my first host family's house for the first 5 months of my internship. This was a little difficult because the two old men who owned the studio, though they were really nice, didn't speak any English and I hardly spoke any Japanese at that point, so my way of learning was kind of like "metakatsu", by just watching what they did and repeating it (and relying a little on my previous knowledge of ceramics as well). 
Here is a brief overview of the process and some of the things I made:
My instructor centering the clay on the potter's wheel
Making a bowl on the wheel
Dipping the fired pottery in glaze
Glazed pottery before the final firing
My vases after the final firing
This is a Japanese style tea cup.
I think my instructors liked this piece best.
They said it was very Nihon-poi (Japanese taste).
The design on the plate below was made by indenting patterns into the wet clay, covering in white glaze, and then wiping off the excess. It is a style that I first saw in Japan but learned after some investigation that it, like some other aspects of Japanese culture and even parts of the Japanese language itself, originally came from Korea. The flower pattern represents the white chrysanthemums that are native to Korea. Since this was my first plate and I didn't understand exactly what my instructors were trying to tell me about making plates, I made it too thin in the middle and it ended up cracking. I wasn't too upset about it though, and I even embrace the imperfection because like I learned in Hippo,  'mistakes' are really just a reflection of the learning process.




One of the things that interests me about pottery is its connection with the culture of food, which is important in many societies but from my experience perhaps holds even greater significance in Japan. I can recall many conversations centered around discussions of food, from which I learned lots of Japanese words to describe different textures of food that don't exist in English. Or there is the tradition of returning from a trip to a different area of Japan with boxes of beautifully individually wrapped candy or snacks in some flavor specific to that region (pears from Niigata , baked corn from Hokkaido) and giving them out to everyone in the office or family. Presentation is very important, as with the packaging or for example in the tea ceremony, where the vessel holds as much significance as what is contained within it.
One of the differences I noticed a lot between Japanese and American meals are that in Japan each place setting has lots of little separate dishes (one for rice, one for soup, one for fish, one for salad, one for soy sauce, etc.) whereas in the U.S. we generally only have one big plate and maybe a bowl. A lot of attention is paid to the form and aesthetic of each of these dishes that perform a specific function in the meal. Though the bowls for rice and soup are almost the same size and shape, as I learned through trial and error from my first host family, you cannot serve rice in a soup bowl!
Another thing thing that impressed me a lot in Japan in general was the smallness of lots of things in comparison with American sizes and the efficient use of space in a lot of things (apartments, cars, futons, etc.). Where space is a more rare commodity, things are designed to make the most out of what is there;  they roll up, fit together, have multiple uses, etc.

So one of the things I made in the ceramic studio was a set of tiny bowls that encapsulate some of those seemingly very Japanese attributes for me. I decorated them in styles and colors that reflected other Japanese pottery and art that I saw. You will notice that one of them has a picture of Hello Kitty painted inside which, though perhaps not traditional, is a valid icon of Japanese culture and decorative art.
As I was researching Japanese art I came across a BBC series caled In Search of Wabi Sabi. In it, a British man travels to Japan seeking to understand the true meaning of wabi sabi. He first comes to Shibuya and asks people on the street if they can tell him what wabi sabi is. After becoming somewhat frustrated not feeling he has come any closer to an answer, at the end of the segment he turns to the camera and says, "I feel like I need to get out of here and find some way to get acquainted with the real Japan." This comment stood out a lot to me - the notion that parts of Japanese culture, or any culture for that matter, are more real than the rest - and I do think that it is a notion exists across cultures and is one that people should be wary of.

Of course there are aspects of Japanese culture that are more traditional, but I don't think that makes them any less real or Japanese than things that are perhaps more modern. It's important to keep in mind that cultures are multifaceted and always evolving and that which was once modern is now tradition. In fact one of the things that I find the most interesting about Japan is the mix of traditional and contemporary culture that coexists, while seeming to maintain a very Japanese identity.  

Though my cultural project was focused on ceramics, it was by no means the only aspect of Japanese culture that I learned about. Every day I encountered and experienced new aspects of Japanese culture, some of them traditional and some of them modern, and through them I came to a better understanding of the real Japan, which encompasses them all.
This is Japanese culture (Mount Fuji)
And so is this (Tokyo Sky Tree)
This is Japan culture (Maiko style makeup and kimonos)
And so is this (Kawaii style Puricura photo booths)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sama Otsukare!!

Sama お疲れさまですした! 韓国の文化おしえてくれて감사합니다!! Nos vemos en cualquier parte del world!👋💫 Wait for the last Sama blog very soon!  サマのラストーのブログ待って下さい!!👐 Sama,いってらっしゃい!

こんにちはトゥーイです!From Thailand!

👋 เดือนสิงหาคม 2018  August 2018 8月 こんにちはタイからトゥーイです!✌ 今から1か月前日本に来た!とせんぶはすごい! เริ่มต้นด้วยการไป nature camp ที่นากาโนะ ได้นั่งรถไฟชินคังเซ็นเป็นครั้งแรก รู้สึกตื่นเต้นเอามากๆ พอถึงที่นากาโนะก็ต้องนั่งรถบัสต่อก่อนจะถึงที่พัก ได้มองเห็นวิวภูเขาที่ไม่เคยเห็นอีกด้วย มาแคมป์ครั้งนี้ได้เจอกับคนมากมาย ได้เพื่อนเป็นคนต่างชาติหลากหลายคนอย่างที่ไม่เคยคิดว่าจะเป็นไปได้ด้วย(ฮ่า) ที่แคมป์มีการแบ่งกลุ่มกันทำกิจกรรม ฉันได้อยู่กลุ่ม5 ทุกคนน่ารักมากๆ ใจดีกับฉัน เข้ามาคุยกับฉันทั้งๆที่ภาษาแตกต่างกัน แต่ทุกคนก็พยายามพูดภาษาอังกฤษที่ไม่ถนัด รู้สึกซาบซึ้งในใจเลย นอกจากจะได้เพื่อนแล้วยังได้ไปปีนเขา ไปปีนโขดหินตามแม่น้ำ เป็นประสบการณ์ใหม่ที่ตื่นเต้นและประทับใจสุดๆค่ะ Nature Camp make me a lot of friends. I'm happy to be everybody's friend.  And Nature Camp make me feel happy and excited when I standing in Nature. This photo, I take it while walking to park and Kenashi-Yama一番楽しかった. きれいな~!!💫 และในเดือนนี้ฉันก็ได้เริ่มทำขนมปังเองเป็นครั้งแรก(ทำกับโฮสพ่อ) เป็นขนมปังปอด์นธรรมดา และ

¡Ya me voy a mi casita en Oregon!

お母さん, お父さん お父さんがめちゃやさしい  いつもはモコサ大丈夫とかモコサ食べた? *Warning* There is too much, I mean muchisimas, things to talk about in 11 months of living in Japan. This is just a small reflection of it. (: Ya ha pasado 11 meses!! Y no me la creo que rápido pasaron. 本当にはやい。さきではめちゃたいへんとチャレンジ!だけど頑張ってるとnot give up so quickly がめちゃいい。皆さんありがとうございました、めちゃやさしとあえてうれした。一番好きことは皆のあえてた! En una a ñ o se puede aprender mucho. Pero en un ano en otro pais aprendes mucho de todo, incluso de ti mismo. Los muchachos jovenes me inspiraron en ser mas estudiosa y acabar la escuela. La gente mayor me ense ñ o en ser mas humilde y de disfrutar lo del alrededor. La gente de hippo me ense ñ o que no importa de donde seas o que idioma hables somos humanos. So with this in mind I recommend you take a moment of your time and acknowledge the people around you. Enjoy their company, listen to there stories, and learn from them. Everyone has something to teach and we can all learn from one another. Don’t be af