Skip to main content

Stephanie- Goodbye to my second host family

Goodbye To My Second Host Family

Yesterday I changed host families for the third time, which will be my last host family while I'm in Japan. I was really sad to leave my previous host family because I had just gotten to know them very well and really enjoyed staying with them, but before we were able to do a lot of things together before I left. My host sister Maron-chan and I went shopping in Harajuku together, which we had been planning to do for a long time since she likes going there, but hadn't found the time. The other day she had a day off from school though, so we were finally able to go.

Harajuku is a trendy shopping area for young people and very Nihon-poi (Japanese taste). Maron-chan said that the best thing to eat there is tapioca juice (I've seen it called bubble tea in the U.S.), so one of our missions was to find it. My host mom joined us later and we went to a place with プリクラ ("puricura", a Japanese-icized version of Print Club), or photo booths that make your eyes look huge and let you add all kinds of cute decorations to your photo before you print it out in a sheet of little stickers that you can put on everything. In other words, very Japanese. It was really fun!
I also bought some of the ridiculously long fake eyelashes that are very popular with Japanese girls and when we got home Maron-chan and I dressed up in the fashion.

If you want more proof of the popularity of the false eyelash trend in Japan, see this music video a song by Kyari Pamyu Pamyu that is really popular right now. The title of the song is "Tsukema Tsukeru"; "tsukema" is fake eyelashes and "tsukeru" is to put on. Maron-chan taught me all the lyrics, so now I have to practice so I can sing it next time we go to karaoke!!!


They day after, my host mom and dad took me out to lunch and since I hadn't eaten unagi (eel) yet in Japan, we went to a really nice Japanese restaurant whose specialty was ungai. It was delicious!

My second host mom is also a Hippo fellow the Hippo club in that area has a lot of members, so I got to know a lot of people there and I even stayed with two other families for a few days when my host family was on vacation, so I got to know those families very well as well. Tuesday was my last night with my host family and also my last Hippo club in that area so they had a big farewell mochiyori party for me. It was so nice and everyone had very nice things to say to me :) I will miss them all too! But hopefully I'm sure I will see most of them again before I leave Japan. I will also still get to see my host mom a few days a week in the Hippo office. :)

Farewell party with members from my Hippo club
A T-shirt that Kazuyan made for me and everyone signed with lovely messages!
Even though I was sad to leave my previous hosts, my new host family is also a very nice family!
I met my host dad yesterday, but today he left for Nagoya (an hour and a half away from Tokyo by Shinkansen), where he will work and live for the next year, so I won't see him that often, but he will come home on weekends when he can, so I will see him once in a while. My host mom is really sweet and also a Hippo Fellow. She has her own club near where we live on Thursday evenings. There are also several other Hippo clubs in the area that my family attends on Fridays and Saturdays. I haven't met anyone from these clubs yet but I'm sure I will soon!

Though I haven't gotten to spend that much time with them yet, my host sister who is 13 and my host brother who is 9 are really cute and seem like a lot of fun. The night I arrived my host sister showed me all her photo albums and they taught me a card game and already have lots of plans for fun things they want to do with me like go swimming and go to an amusement park.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sama Otsukare!!

Sama お疲れさまですした! 韓国の文化おしえてくれて감사합니다!! Nos vemos en cualquier parte del world!👋💫 Wait for the last Sama blog very soon!  サマのラストーのブログ待って下さい!!👐 Sama,いってらっしゃい!

こんにちはトゥーイです!From Thailand!

👋 เดือนสิงหาคม 2018  August 2018 8月 こんにちはタイからトゥーイです!✌ 今から1か月前日本に来た!とせんぶはすごい! เริ่มต้นด้วยการไป nature camp ที่นากาโนะ ได้นั่งรถไฟชินคังเซ็นเป็นครั้งแรก รู้สึกตื่นเต้นเอามากๆ พอถึงที่นากาโนะก็ต้องนั่งรถบัสต่อก่อนจะถึงที่พัก ได้มองเห็นวิวภูเขาที่ไม่เคยเห็นอีกด้วย มาแคมป์ครั้งนี้ได้เจอกับคนมากมาย ได้เพื่อนเป็นคนต่างชาติหลากหลายคนอย่างที่ไม่เคยคิดว่าจะเป็นไปได้ด้วย(ฮ่า) ที่แคมป์มีการแบ่งกลุ่มกันทำกิจกรรม ฉันได้อยู่กลุ่ม5 ทุกคนน่ารักมากๆ ใจดีกับฉัน เข้ามาคุยกับฉันทั้งๆที่ภาษาแตกต่างกัน แต่ทุกคนก็พยายามพูดภาษาอังกฤษที่ไม่ถนัด รู้สึกซาบซึ้งในใจเลย นอกจากจะได้เพื่อนแล้วยังได้ไปปีนเขา ไปปีนโขดหินตามแม่น้ำ เป็นประสบการณ์ใหม่ที่ตื่นเต้นและประทับใจสุดๆค่ะ Nature Camp make me a lot of friends. I'm happy to be everybody's friend.  And Nature Camp make me feel happy and excited when I standing in Nature. This photo, I take it while walking to park and Kenashi-Yama一番楽しかった. きれいな~!!💫 และในเดือนนี้ฉันก็ได้เริ่มทำขนมปังเองเป็นครั้งแรก(ทำกับโฮสพ่อ) เป็นขนมปังปอด์นธรรมดา และ

¡Ya me voy a mi casita en Oregon!

お母さん, お父さん お父さんがめちゃやさしい  いつもはモコサ大丈夫とかモコサ食べた? *Warning* There is too much, I mean muchisimas, things to talk about in 11 months of living in Japan. This is just a small reflection of it. (: Ya ha pasado 11 meses!! Y no me la creo que rápido pasaron. 本当にはやい。さきではめちゃたいへんとチャレンジ!だけど頑張ってるとnot give up so quickly がめちゃいい。皆さんありがとうございました、めちゃやさしとあえてうれした。一番好きことは皆のあえてた! En una a ñ o se puede aprender mucho. Pero en un ano en otro pais aprendes mucho de todo, incluso de ti mismo. Los muchachos jovenes me inspiraron en ser mas estudiosa y acabar la escuela. La gente mayor me ense ñ o en ser mas humilde y de disfrutar lo del alrededor. La gente de hippo me ense ñ o que no importa de donde seas o que idioma hables somos humanos. So with this in mind I recommend you take a moment of your time and acknowledge the people around you. Enjoy their company, listen to there stories, and learn from them. Everyone has something to teach and we can all learn from one another. Don’t be af