Skip to main content

Stephanie- Golden Week!

Golden Week!

Last week was Golden Week in Japan, when everyone has vacation, and a lot of people travel. It was a really fun week. My host family went to Thailand for a few days, so I stayed with two other families during that time and went to a Hippo camp in Chiba, where I also got to go to the ocean for first time in Japan and a pick your own, all-you-can-eat strawberry patch, which was great! I also spent some time with my host family in the area near where we live and went to a really nice Japanese garden with a huge koi pond, where we fed bread to them. I would recommend all these things to someone visiting Japan.
At the beach with my host sister for the day, Belle
Kujukuri beach in Chiba
My host brother for the day, K, with a shell
All-you-can-eat strawberry patch!
With sweetened condensed milk :)
Belle

Making curry rice for dinner at a Hippo camp in Chiba


A beautiful Japanese garden near where we live

Koi
My host sister Maron-chan feeding the koi

April Report



April is a really beautiful month because it's when all the sakura trees bloom, so I was able to go to quite a few hanamis or picnics under the sakura trees. It is also the month of my birthday, so it was full of flowers! My host family had a party for me with some of the members from our Hippo club and at work they had an adorable cake, shaped like little rabbits. :) Who would have thought that I would spend my 23rd birthday in Japan, surrounded by my Japanese family, friends and co-workers? It was really nice!

Since Easter is also in April and my host family had never celebrated Easter, I had my mom send me some easter basket candy and things from America and made and hid Easter baskets and plastic eggs in our apartment for my host family to find. I think they had a lot of fun!

Sometimes people ask me how I have been learning Japanese or how I learned to write, since I haven't ever formally studied it. At first I was completely mystified as to how one would learn to read or write in Japanese without memorizing an infinite amount of characters, but actually it turned out to be a lot easier than I thought.

The answer is that I learned how to write kanji and katakana and some kanji from the computer. When you change the language to Japanese, you still type the sounds of the word using roman letters, for example "nihonngo"(Japanese language) is typed just like that, but when you change the language "ni" becomes に、and "ho" becomes ほ、and so on, in hiragana characters. At first I didn't recognize the hiragana characters, but after typing them over and over I began to be able to read them and write them on my own.

When you press enter, the computer will also give you a list of options for the kanji (chinese character) for many Japanese words.. There are a lot of kanji whose meanings I don't know, so a lot of the time I just leave the word in hiragana characters, which everyone can read and understand. I found out that this is actually how little kids first start to learn Japanese, and as they get older they start to replace them with the kanji they know. So I am just like a little Japanese kid in that respect. But I can recognize a few kanji that I see evryday and when I do know recognize it, I can press enter and it appears on the screen . Ex. "nihonngo" first becomes にほんご in hiragana, and when you press enter, the kanji, 日本語 appear. If I don't recognize a new kanji when I am typing, I enter it into google translate to see if it is the word I am trying to say, and if it is, I use it. In the same way that I learned the hiragana characters, I also learn new kanji that way.

Interesting fact: did you ever wonder why Japan is called the land of the rising sun? I had always thought it was just a western name given to the country, but it is actually in the Japanese name itself. Japan is 日本 . 日is pronounced "nichi" and means sun or day (because a day is one rotation of the sun). 本 is pronounced "hon" and means book, and also something like origin. When you put the two together, it is pronounced "nihon" and literally means sun origin, or land of the rising sun!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sama Otsukare!!

Sama お疲れさまですした! 韓国の文化おしえてくれて감사합니다!! Nos vemos en cualquier parte del world!👋💫 Wait for the last Sama blog very soon!  サマのラストーのブログ待って下さい!!👐 Sama,いってらっしゃい!

こんにちはトゥーイです!From Thailand!

👋 เดือนสิงหาคม 2018  August 2018 8月 こんにちはタイからトゥーイです!✌ 今から1か月前日本に来た!とせんぶはすごい! เริ่มต้นด้วยการไป nature camp ที่นากาโนะ ได้นั่งรถไฟชินคังเซ็นเป็นครั้งแรก รู้สึกตื่นเต้นเอามากๆ พอถึงที่นากาโนะก็ต้องนั่งรถบัสต่อก่อนจะถึงที่พัก ได้มองเห็นวิวภูเขาที่ไม่เคยเห็นอีกด้วย มาแคมป์ครั้งนี้ได้เจอกับคนมากมาย ได้เพื่อนเป็นคนต่างชาติหลากหลายคนอย่างที่ไม่เคยคิดว่าจะเป็นไปได้ด้วย(ฮ่า) ที่แคมป์มีการแบ่งกลุ่มกันทำกิจกรรม ฉันได้อยู่กลุ่ม5 ทุกคนน่ารักมากๆ ใจดีกับฉัน เข้ามาคุยกับฉันทั้งๆที่ภาษาแตกต่างกัน แต่ทุกคนก็พยายามพูดภาษาอังกฤษที่ไม่ถนัด รู้สึกซาบซึ้งในใจเลย นอกจากจะได้เพื่อนแล้วยังได้ไปปีนเขา ไปปีนโขดหินตามแม่น้ำ เป็นประสบการณ์ใหม่ที่ตื่นเต้นและประทับใจสุดๆค่ะ Nature Camp make me a lot of friends. I'm happy to be everybody's friend.  And Nature Camp make me feel happy and excited when I standing in Nature. This photo, I take it while walking to park and Kenashi-Yama一番楽しかった. きれいな~!!💫 และในเดือนนี้ฉันก็ได้เริ่มทำขนมปังเองเป็นครั้งแรก(ทำกับโฮสพ่อ) เป็นขนมปังปอด์นธรรมดา และ

¡Ya me voy a mi casita en Oregon!

お母さん, お父さん お父さんがめちゃやさしい  いつもはモコサ大丈夫とかモコサ食べた? *Warning* There is too much, I mean muchisimas, things to talk about in 11 months of living in Japan. This is just a small reflection of it. (: Ya ha pasado 11 meses!! Y no me la creo que rápido pasaron. 本当にはやい。さきではめちゃたいへんとチャレンジ!だけど頑張ってるとnot give up so quickly がめちゃいい。皆さんありがとうございました、めちゃやさしとあえてうれした。一番好きことは皆のあえてた! En una a ñ o se puede aprender mucho. Pero en un ano en otro pais aprendes mucho de todo, incluso de ti mismo. Los muchachos jovenes me inspiraron en ser mas estudiosa y acabar la escuela. La gente mayor me ense ñ o en ser mas humilde y de disfrutar lo del alrededor. La gente de hippo me ense ñ o que no importa de donde seas o que idioma hables somos humanos. So with this in mind I recommend you take a moment of your time and acknowledge the people around you. Enjoy their company, listen to there stories, and learn from them. Everyone has something to teach and we can all learn from one another. Don’t be af