Skip to main content

Stephanie- Kawagoe Multicultural Festival

Kawagoe Multicultural Festival

This last weekend I attended a festival in Kawagoe with the members of the Hippo family club from that area. Together we marched in a parade and performed several songs that we had been practicing, one from Korea and one from Mexico.  I played guitar along with a few other members and everyone sang. It was fun!
The Kawagoe Hippo club
At the festival there were lots of different groups performing and people dressed in different traditional costumes from around the world. For the parade, my Hippo fellow asked me to wear a traditional American costume, which is hard because the U.S. doesn't really have it's own national traditional dress like a lot of other countries do. What's the U.S. equivalent of a kimono? The thing about the U.S. is it's big and comprised of people from a lot of different cultures and it doesn't have a very long history as a country comparatively. So when people ask me what traditional American dress looks like, or what a typical American meal looks like, it's sometimes hard to say, because it depends on where in the U.S. you are and who you are and the specific culture of the community or family that that you were raised in. In Mexico a lot of people even told me that I looked really American (meaning blonde hair, blue eyes) which was strange because there really is no such thing as a typical 'American looking' person, but it's interesting to see the image of the U.S. in the eyes of those from other parts of the world.
Since I didn't bring much to Japan in the way of an American costume, unless you count blue jeans, the fellow from the Kawagoe Hippo club lent me a cowboy hat that she bought in Oregon and my host mom lent me her western-style boots. I suppose the cowboy is a pretty iconic American image, and America is good at being iconic; I'll have to keep working on improving my costume for next time.
My best attempt at looking 'American'. What do you think?
I had a chance to talk with a lot of interesting people at the festival, and my travel guitar was a great point of conversation. This man was singing a song for me in  Japanese set to the tune of "Amazing Grace".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sama Otsukare!!

Sama お疲れさまですした! 韓国の文化おしえてくれて감사합니다!! Nos vemos en cualquier parte del world!👋💫 Wait for the last Sama blog very soon!  サマのラストーのブログ待って下さい!!👐 Sama,いってらっしゃい!

Maddie- ごちそうさま - Eating Well

ごちそうさま - Eating Well Signs advertising  shirasu , tiny fish famous in Kamakura Today I would like to discuss a topic that is near and dear to my heart...food culture. It`s well known among my friends and family--and heck, probably anyone that I`ve had a substantial conversation with--I absolutely LOVE food. I love cooking, I love eating, I love talking about food, and I love talking about food WHILE eating food...It`s a subject that I never tire of! So naturally, it makes sense that I would hold interest in Japan`s food culture. When I came back in August, I brought with me a desire to taste and learn. Not only did I hope to sample a wide variety of Japanese cuisine, but also to try my own hand at preparing a variety of dishes. Part of the requirements for my visa is some sort of cultural learning. For this reason, American interns are expected to select an aspect of Japanese culture to study. Naturally, I had selected food. In order to fulfill this requirement, I ...

Michael- Arrival in Japan

Arrival In Japan What an experience! I'm Michael Gobin. I will be the 2009-2010 LEX Intern in the Tokyo Office. LEX America has been telling you a lot about me, so I won't take a lot of space on introductions. I will be contributing to this blog a couple times a month over the next year. However, my mentor here in the office is gone on a multi-country adventure for the next week, so I will be spending those days contributing more often. I'll try to paint a picture of what my first few days in Japan have been like. Even though I spent 14 hours on a plane headed to Japan. It wasn't until I took those first steps off the plane that it hit me like I walked through a curtain that I was in Japan. First of all, it was immediately warmer. Kana went from being an equal language in places where it mattered, to everywhere with English only as a back-up in the important areas. Most importantly though, I became completely illiterate and that's when I knew the adventure h...