Skip to main content

Stephanie- Lake Kawaguchi Trip

Lake Kawaguchi Trip


Last week to celebrate the end of Dr. Flynn's visit to Japan, the Hippo office arranged a thank you trip to Lake Kawaguchi, which is right at the base of Mt. Fuji. Several of the Hippo staff attended, as well as some Hippo members from other parts of Japan like Osaka, and I was invited along with some of the other interns. Everyone had a chance to talk together and share experiences and impressions throughout the weekend and the area we visited was really beautiful. We stayed in a hotel with a great view of Mt. Fuji across the lake. We were lucky to arrive on a clear day so we could see the mountain, and trees were just starting to change colors for the fall. It was a really nice trip and it was nice to see a little bit of Japan outside the city-ness of Tokyo.

View of Mt. Fuji and Lake Kawaguchi from the hotel
The small tourist town that surrounds the lake
At the hotel, I had the opportunity to experience a very Japanese tradition - the onsen, or public bath. The hotel had an onsen on the top floor that was fed by the water from natural hot springs and had an amazing view of the lake and mountain. One Hippo member told me that two of Japanese people's favorite things are the onsen and Mt. Fuji so it was really special to be able to experience them both together! People also told me that they were impressed that I was open also to the experience of the onsen, as many foreign people don't try it because they don't feel comfortable with the idea of being in the nude around strangers (even though, of course men and women's baths are separate). This actually didn't bother me at all and I would encourage everyone to experience it if they are in Japan. It's really nice! I went three times in our 24 hour stay at the hotel. We even got up early in the morning to be able to see the sunrise over the mountain from the onsen. Unfortunately when we got up all we could see was white because it was foggy, but it was still worth getting up for.
Japanese onsen looking over the lake and mountain

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sama Otsukare!!

Sama お疲れさまですした! 韓国の文化おしえてくれて감사합니다!! Nos vemos en cualquier parte del world!👋💫 Wait for the last Sama blog very soon!  サマのラストーのブログ待って下さい!!👐 Sama,いってらっしゃい!

Stephanie-こんにちは!Konnichiwa! Hello!

こんにちは!Konnichiwa! Hello! My host sister Asuka and I in 小えど, Japan Hi everyone!  My name is Stephanie, but in Japan I've already been given the nickname  Su-chan  す-ちゃん    (su from Stephanie since the Japanese pronunciation is su-teh-fah-nee, and -chan is added to the end of a name when you are speaking to a younger person or a friend), so you can call me Su-chan! I am one of the five Hippo interns working in the LEX headquarters office in Tokyo this year. In addition to me, from Wisconsin, the intern team is made up of Tino from Mexico, Sakun and Ken Ken from China, and Hiu-chan from Korea. It's great to have such an international group!    Before coming to Japan I attended the University of Wisconsin and graduated with a degree in fine art. During that time I also worked for Wisconsin 4-H International Programs, which is how I first learned about Hippo through the 4-H/Hippo summer and yearlong exchanges. Last summer I had the opportun...

Michael- Arrival in Japan

Arrival In Japan What an experience! I'm Michael Gobin. I will be the 2009-2010 LEX Intern in the Tokyo Office. LEX America has been telling you a lot about me, so I won't take a lot of space on introductions. I will be contributing to this blog a couple times a month over the next year. However, my mentor here in the office is gone on a multi-country adventure for the next week, so I will be spending those days contributing more often. I'll try to paint a picture of what my first few days in Japan have been like. Even though I spent 14 hours on a plane headed to Japan. It wasn't until I took those first steps off the plane that it hit me like I walked through a curtain that I was in Japan. First of all, it was immediately warmer. Kana went from being an equal language in places where it mattered, to everywhere with English only as a back-up in the important areas. Most importantly though, I became completely illiterate and that's when I knew the adventure h...