Skip to main content

Hayley- Life goes on

Life goes on


Yesterday, I was able to go into work for about half the day.  It was great being there, but it struck me how tired everyone looked.  It wasn't just them though. . . I know I looked tired too.  The emotional toll of the past days has been very draining.  There is so much going on, and so much uncertainty as events continue to unfold.  No matter where you turn, there is something to remind you that life is not as it should be.

I look at my laptop, where BBC News' Live Stream reminds me of the unfolding situation at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.   I think of the rescue efforts in the north and all of the people who are living in temporary shelters.   

And yet, looking outside this morning, life appears to be normal.  The sun is shining, people are riding by on their bikes, and the kindergarten bus shaped like a giant dachshund just drove past . . . to all appearances, life is normal.  

My host mother's hand-written train schedule, though, reminds me that power-outages are still affecting the train lines.  Therefore, I will be working from home today.  There will also be a power-outage here from mid-afternoon to early evening.     

It's hard to put into words the situation here; so much is happening, and things constantly seem to be changing.  Emotionally it has been quite draining.  I'd like to thank all of my friends and family for your messages and prayers.  You have been a great encouragement.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sama Otsukare!!

Sama お疲れさまですした! 韓国の文化おしえてくれて감사합니다!! Nos vemos en cualquier parte del world!👋💫 Wait for the last Sama blog very soon!  サマのラストーのブログ待って下さい!!👐 Sama,いってらっしゃい!

Maddie- ごちそうさま - Eating Well

ごちそうさま - Eating Well Signs advertising  shirasu , tiny fish famous in Kamakura Today I would like to discuss a topic that is near and dear to my heart...food culture. It`s well known among my friends and family--and heck, probably anyone that I`ve had a substantial conversation with--I absolutely LOVE food. I love cooking, I love eating, I love talking about food, and I love talking about food WHILE eating food...It`s a subject that I never tire of! So naturally, it makes sense that I would hold interest in Japan`s food culture. When I came back in August, I brought with me a desire to taste and learn. Not only did I hope to sample a wide variety of Japanese cuisine, but also to try my own hand at preparing a variety of dishes. Part of the requirements for my visa is some sort of cultural learning. For this reason, American interns are expected to select an aspect of Japanese culture to study. Naturally, I had selected food. In order to fulfill this requirement, I ...

Michael- Arrival in Japan

Arrival In Japan What an experience! I'm Michael Gobin. I will be the 2009-2010 LEX Intern in the Tokyo Office. LEX America has been telling you a lot about me, so I won't take a lot of space on introductions. I will be contributing to this blog a couple times a month over the next year. However, my mentor here in the office is gone on a multi-country adventure for the next week, so I will be spending those days contributing more often. I'll try to paint a picture of what my first few days in Japan have been like. Even though I spent 14 hours on a plane headed to Japan. It wasn't until I took those first steps off the plane that it hit me like I walked through a curtain that I was in Japan. First of all, it was immediately warmer. Kana went from being an equal language in places where it mattered, to everywhere with English only as a back-up in the important areas. Most importantly though, I became completely illiterate and that's when I knew the adventure h...