Skip to main content

Hayley- Interesting fact- Daily Life

Interesting Fact

Three days ago, the first subway I took was delayed. I don't know why it was delayed . . . all the announcements were given in Japanese. All I know is that we sat at one station for a rather long time with the subway doors open (letting in quite a draft). By the end of our wait, I was very, very thankful that I was one of the few passengers lucky enough to have a seat!

When the subway did eventually arrive at my transfer station, I passed a guard handing out pieces of paper. He was giving them to everybody, and I took one. I had no idea what it meant, but an inkling that it had something to do with the delay.



The piece of paper

Something I find funny when travelling is that for me (since I can't read any written form of Japanese) this message was as good as a cipher. I could make educated guesses as to its meaning, but beyond that, I was in the dark. In the meantime, for anyone who can read Japanese, this was as standard as as any subway ticket!

Yes, I do realize I haven't explained just what it is yet. I just had to let you experience the "clueless" feeling first. Isn't that nice of me?

Now, as I was saying before I interupted myself, I didn't know what the piece of paper meant, but I intended to find out. So, once I arrived at the office I asked Hiroko. She glanced at it and said, "Oh, you don't need that." I had been pretty sure of that fact already. Still, I asked what it was. She explained that it is a pass from the railway company for employees to give their employers, explaining about the delay. Mystery solved!


A Walk to the Station

Yudai came along . . . oh for the energy of an 8 year old! It doesn't help that I'm getting over a cold, but I certainly feel quite old with Yudai capering around me as I walk!

This is the busiest road I walk along


A university I pass each day



My destination, Ogawa Station




I thought these apartments were rather fun





Some normal houses (notice all the green!)



Speaking of green, look at the bamboo. Isn't it lovely? In Korea it grows on the mountains, giving them a beautiful "feathery" look.



Back to Japan though, this is a yakitori bar. I love the architecture with all the timber.



These look a wee bit sad, but I had to take a picture. Flowers in January: unthinkable! (Being from Wisconsin, I have certain stereotypes for what sort of things to expect in January. These include snow, ice, frigid temperatures . . . anything but flowers!)




A postal box; isn't it fun?



A vantage point :)












Views of the Neighborhood

Looking out the apartment window



A neighboring school

Apartments . . .

and more apartments . . .
There's something special about these parking places; they're multi-level. To get your car (if it's the second or third down), simply insert a key into the meter and pull a lever.


The spiral staircase caught my eye, and if you look closely, you can see mountains on the horizon.

You don't see this sort of thing in Wisconsin during January!


Or this either!

The really gnarled looking trees are cherry trees. During April this will be gorgeous!

A streetview: see if you can match this with the view from my apartment.


Looking back up the same street

My host family's apartment building is on the right.
That's all for the present. Did you like the pictures? If so, you better check back soon. In my next post, I'm going to include pictures from my walk to the subway station!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sama Otsukare!!

Sama お疲れさまですした! 韓国の文化おしえてくれて감사합니다!! Nos vemos en cualquier parte del world!👋💫 Wait for the last Sama blog very soon!  サマのラストーのブログ待って下さい!!👐 Sama,いってらっしゃい!

Stephanie-こんにちは!Konnichiwa! Hello!

こんにちは!Konnichiwa! Hello! My host sister Asuka and I in 小えど, Japan Hi everyone!  My name is Stephanie, but in Japan I've already been given the nickname  Su-chan  す-ちゃん    (su from Stephanie since the Japanese pronunciation is su-teh-fah-nee, and -chan is added to the end of a name when you are speaking to a younger person or a friend), so you can call me Su-chan! I am one of the five Hippo interns working in the LEX headquarters office in Tokyo this year. In addition to me, from Wisconsin, the intern team is made up of Tino from Mexico, Sakun and Ken Ken from China, and Hiu-chan from Korea. It's great to have such an international group!    Before coming to Japan I attended the University of Wisconsin and graduated with a degree in fine art. During that time I also worked for Wisconsin 4-H International Programs, which is how I first learned about Hippo through the 4-H/Hippo summer and yearlong exchanges. Last summer I had the opportun...

Michael- Arrival in Japan

Arrival In Japan What an experience! I'm Michael Gobin. I will be the 2009-2010 LEX Intern in the Tokyo Office. LEX America has been telling you a lot about me, so I won't take a lot of space on introductions. I will be contributing to this blog a couple times a month over the next year. However, my mentor here in the office is gone on a multi-country adventure for the next week, so I will be spending those days contributing more often. I'll try to paint a picture of what my first few days in Japan have been like. Even though I spent 14 hours on a plane headed to Japan. It wasn't until I took those first steps off the plane that it hit me like I walked through a curtain that I was in Japan. First of all, it was immediately warmer. Kana went from being an equal language in places where it mattered, to everywhere with English only as a back-up in the important areas. Most importantly though, I became completely illiterate and that's when I knew the adventure h...