Skip to main content

Jess- Nami

Nami

This month I am helping prepare for the In Japan Midterm Meeting. It's an event for all the students that came to Japan from all over the world who are doing a year long homestay. It has been 3 months since they arrived and we want to check in with them and give them a little motivation. Yoshiko, Gotaro and I had a lengthy meeting talking about some issues that develop during this time and ways we can help the students overcome their homesickness, culture shock and language challenges. As we talked about this, of course, I offered up some suggestions and personal ideas about dealing with these difficulties. After the meeting I couldn't help but continue to think about culture adjustment and language acquisition.

During the meeting, some personal struggles, challenges and triumphs came rushing to the front of my consciousness. Although it is my job to be a mentor to the high school students throughout their stay, I am also going through a similar struggle. Although, I feel "genki" 80% of the time, I go through my own waves of emotions.

Home sickness: It's a natural part of the exchange process and I completely recognise this. I actually feel like I haven't experienced any severe homesickness yet since I am willing to allow myself to be meloncholy some days and not feel overly upset about it. The first month I was here, I missed my friends and family a lot and always thought of them throughout the day, felt like sending them email messages, letters, postcards, pictures...anything to share my experiences with them. I wished on some days that my friends could be here with me to witness the scene around me, or to go out together to have fun. But recently I realised that it makes no sense sitting here wishing people from home were here since that won't happen (with the exception of a few friends who will be visiting me). Besides, this is my chance to live in Japan, everyone will be in Boston and Maine when I get back, but i might not have a chance like this again. I think in order to overcome homesickness, one has to realise that their time in the new country is not forever, and that they should make the best of their situation in the present. I am trying to do this now and I think it has helped improve my mood when i:m feeling down. Afterall, it was my own ambition and skiill that got me here and I plan on using that same energy to make it through this year.

I hope the other highschool students will realise that the power to overcome their struggle lies within themselves. I think they will soon discover this, maybe not at the meeting but hopefully very soon. I wish them all the best in their endevors as we treck through this years' journey together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sama Otsukare!!

Sama お疲れさまですした! 韓国の文化おしえてくれて감사합니다!! Nos vemos en cualquier parte del world!👋💫 Wait for the last Sama blog very soon!  サマのラストーのブログ待って下さい!!👐 Sama,いってらっしゃい!

Stephanie-こんにちは!Konnichiwa! Hello!

こんにちは!Konnichiwa! Hello! My host sister Asuka and I in 小えど, Japan Hi everyone!  My name is Stephanie, but in Japan I've already been given the nickname  Su-chan  す-ちゃん    (su from Stephanie since the Japanese pronunciation is su-teh-fah-nee, and -chan is added to the end of a name when you are speaking to a younger person or a friend), so you can call me Su-chan! I am one of the five Hippo interns working in the LEX headquarters office in Tokyo this year. In addition to me, from Wisconsin, the intern team is made up of Tino from Mexico, Sakun and Ken Ken from China, and Hiu-chan from Korea. It's great to have such an international group!    Before coming to Japan I attended the University of Wisconsin and graduated with a degree in fine art. During that time I also worked for Wisconsin 4-H International Programs, which is how I first learned about Hippo through the 4-H/Hippo summer and yearlong exchanges. Last summer I had the opportun...

Michael- Arrival in Japan

Arrival In Japan What an experience! I'm Michael Gobin. I will be the 2009-2010 LEX Intern in the Tokyo Office. LEX America has been telling you a lot about me, so I won't take a lot of space on introductions. I will be contributing to this blog a couple times a month over the next year. However, my mentor here in the office is gone on a multi-country adventure for the next week, so I will be spending those days contributing more often. I'll try to paint a picture of what my first few days in Japan have been like. Even though I spent 14 hours on a plane headed to Japan. It wasn't until I took those first steps off the plane that it hit me like I walked through a curtain that I was in Japan. First of all, it was immediately warmer. Kana went from being an equal language in places where it mattered, to everywhere with English only as a back-up in the important areas. Most importantly though, I became completely illiterate and that's when I knew the adventure h...