Skip to main content

Jess- Rainy Day Update

Rainy Day Update

Today is an extremely rainy and humid day. The office is fairly quiet and slow due to the current 4H Conference in the US so I thought I:d take this chance to update a little bit about some of my projects.

The first project is the most important and also the biggest project of the year for me; the cultural project. Each year, the LEX intern must decide on an area of culture they find most interesting, or most passionate about since they will be dedicating their free time researching it throughout the year. Past interns have done projects such as tea ceremony, calligraphy, and so on. Since my major is Printmaking, I thought I'd be worthwhile to study Japanese woodblock printmaking since is a very unique printing method. I've started taking a mokuhanga class every other week to learn this process and hope to develop a solid portfolio of images reflecting my year living in Tokyo. I also want to investigate Japanese aesthetics by researching about Japanese art history to gain a better understanding of contemporary Japanese Art.

I hope my project will include a paper describing my research into Japanese Aesthetic taste and contemporary art as well as an exhibition of my sketches and prints made during my stay here.

Before I came to Japan I made a brainstorming list of questions to think about and ask while I'm in Tokyo. I broke it down into 4 different sections. Art Education, Contemporary Art, Practicing Art, Awareness and Appreciation.
Art ED
  • Ask about art classes throughout school (k-12)
  • talk with art teachers on school visits (kokurika)
-samples of student work
-observation (if possible)
  • knowledge of art history (public)
  • Japanese craft vs. fine art (does the boundary exist?)
Contemporary Art
  • Past Art Movements
-How do they relate (if at all) to modern/contemporary American Art
- Role of urbanization and materialism
- Inspiration
Practicing Art In Tokyo (Japan in general too but focus on Tokyo)
  • studio space availability and sizes (how does this effect the ability to produce work)
  • cost of art supplies
  • How to display art : difficulties, application process, availability, cost
  • Making a living as a full time vs. part time artist, how to apply for grants
  • How do Japanese people respond to "artist" as a profession
  • Inspirations : art historical, day to day experience....
Awareness and Appreciation
  • how do the Japanese support the arts?
-Government
- Public Patronage (collectors, casual purchasers, gallery and museum revenue)
  • How often do most people view art?
-Contemporary vs. historical
- Japanese vs. foreign
  • Out side of the museums, where can one find art in Tokyo?
  • well known contemporary artists
I also want to make a survey in Japanese that addresses these questions and more. I would rather hear directly from Japanese people rather than someone else's evaluation especially since I want to address contemporary art, it doesn't make too much since to rely on resources from the past. I think it would be pretty easy (and fun) to hand them out at Fellow workshops or hippo clubs.

In addition to this I've been doing some research about Japanese art history through the Internet, a few books and by going to museums. I'd like to visit more museums but I'm usually very busy during the weekends but I think November will provide me more opportunities to get out and hit the museums and galleries.

I started my moku hanga class last week and it proved to be a bit of a challenge since my teacher doesn't speak any Japanese but I was able to work through the tough phrases to get an understand of what was going on. Although, since I've been studying printmaking for 2 years, I understand a lot of what:s going on and what he:s describing even though i don'tunderstand the Japanese. But I have a hard time explaining to my teacher what I do and don't understand. I find that he goes over things that I already know more than things i don'tunderstand. I hope to get better at asking questions. But I was really excited when I convinced him to show me how to cut the kento registration mark even though we are still in our drawing and transferring stage. Since our classes meet every other week, this Sunday I plan on starting to cut my blocks. Japanese printmaking requires a harder type of wood than I'm used to using in the states so I expect the cutting to take longer than I'm used to (especially since my thumb is still sore from a bicycle injury that occurred about 2 months ago) However, the blocks are fairly small but my first design is a bit complex.

my first design is an image i developed in the states but I think it:s best to take an old (well thought over image) to start with as I gather sketches of my surroundings. I'm still unsure of a thesis of which to base my paper and artworks around, but i think in time these things will become clear as they come to the surface more.

Well I hope you enjoyed my update about my culture project

next time I'll tell you about kokurika :)

that's all for now
ja ne!

kinoko chan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sama Otsukare!!

Sama お疲れさまですした! 韓国の文化おしえてくれて감사합니다!! Nos vemos en cualquier parte del world!👋💫 Wait for the last Sama blog very soon!  サマのラストーのブログ待って下さい!!👐 Sama,いってらっしゃい!

こんにちはトゥーイです!From Thailand!

👋 เดือนสิงหาคม 2018  August 2018 8月 こんにちはタイからトゥーイです!✌ 今から1か月前日本に来た!とせんぶはすごい! เริ่มต้นด้วยการไป nature camp ที่นากาโนะ ได้นั่งรถไฟชินคังเซ็นเป็นครั้งแรก รู้สึกตื่นเต้นเอามากๆ พอถึงที่นากาโนะก็ต้องนั่งรถบัสต่อก่อนจะถึงที่พัก ได้มองเห็นวิวภูเขาที่ไม่เคยเห็นอีกด้วย มาแคมป์ครั้งนี้ได้เจอกับคนมากมาย ได้เพื่อนเป็นคนต่างชาติหลากหลายคนอย่างที่ไม่เคยคิดว่าจะเป็นไปได้ด้วย(ฮ่า) ที่แคมป์มีการแบ่งกลุ่มกันทำกิจกรรม ฉันได้อยู่กลุ่ม5 ทุกคนน่ารักมากๆ ใจดีกับฉัน เข้ามาคุยกับฉันทั้งๆที่ภาษาแตกต่างกัน แต่ทุกคนก็พยายามพูดภาษาอังกฤษที่ไม่ถนัด รู้สึกซาบซึ้งในใจเลย นอกจากจะได้เพื่อนแล้วยังได้ไปปีนเขา ไปปีนโขดหินตามแม่น้ำ เป็นประสบการณ์ใหม่ที่ตื่นเต้นและประทับใจสุดๆค่ะ Nature Camp make me a lot of friends. I'm happy to be everybody's friend.  And Nature Camp make me feel happy and excited when I standing in Nature. This photo, I take it while walking to park and Kenashi-Yama一番楽しかった. きれいな~!!💫 และในเดือนนี้ฉันก็ได้เริ่มทำขนมปังเองเป็นครั้งแรก(ทำกับโฮสพ่อ) เป็นขนมปังปอด์นธรรมดา และ

¡Ya me voy a mi casita en Oregon!

お母さん, お父さん お父さんがめちゃやさしい  いつもはモコサ大丈夫とかモコサ食べた? *Warning* There is too much, I mean muchisimas, things to talk about in 11 months of living in Japan. This is just a small reflection of it. (: Ya ha pasado 11 meses!! Y no me la creo que rápido pasaron. 本当にはやい。さきではめちゃたいへんとチャレンジ!だけど頑張ってるとnot give up so quickly がめちゃいい。皆さんありがとうございました、めちゃやさしとあえてうれした。一番好きことは皆のあえてた! En una a ñ o se puede aprender mucho. Pero en un ano en otro pais aprendes mucho de todo, incluso de ti mismo. Los muchachos jovenes me inspiraron en ser mas estudiosa y acabar la escuela. La gente mayor me ense ñ o en ser mas humilde y de disfrutar lo del alrededor. La gente de hippo me ense ñ o que no importa de donde seas o que idioma hables somos humanos. So with this in mind I recommend you take a moment of your time and acknowledge the people around you. Enjoy their company, listen to there stories, and learn from them. Everyone has something to teach and we can all learn from one another. Don’t be af