Skip to main content

Jess- Kabuki Za

Kabuki Za


This past Sunday I had the opportunity to see 3 Kabuki performances at the famous Kabuki Za in Ginza, Tokyo. Waka chan invited my host mom and I to see the 4:30 set of shows. Nestled in bustling Ginza, this 150 year old theater is a gateway to the beautiful ancient art of Kabuki theater. Actors are elaborately painted, dressed in beautiful and flowing kimonos, and sing, dance and move in a very precise manner along with the music. I love kabuki plays a lot. I had the chance to see one act 2 years ago when I was staying in Tokyo for a month long home stay and was thrilled when I found out I would be able to see 3! I was also lucky enough to see an all star cast . ( see this link for a picture of the performance poster http://www.kabuki-bito.jp/theaters/kabukiza/images/handbill/kabukiza200810b_handbill.jpg?html)


The Kabuki Za site lists descriptions for each play. the ones I saw are as follows:
HONCHO NIJUSHIKO -Jusshuko, Kitsunebi-
(The Japanese Examples of Filial Piety - The Incense Burning, Foxfires)
Princess Yaegaki is mourning the death of her fiance Katsuyori, but as she burns incense in his memory, she notices the resemblance between the new gardener and her fiance's portrait. The gardener is in fact Katsuyori, who has entered the household in disguise to regain possession of a stolen family treasure, a famous battle helmet, with the aid of an accomplice, Nureginu, a woman who also mourns for the man that died in the place of the real Katsuyori. Unfortunately, Yaegaki's father has also seen through the disguise and plans to kill Katsuyori and Yaegaki decides that she must save the man she loves. Taking the helmet, she runs after Katsuyori while surrounded by mysterious fox fires caused by the fox spirit closely associated with the helmet. As she takes on superpowers with the magic of the fox, she begins moving like a Bunraku puppet with an actor as the puppeteer (Onoe Ukon). The role of Princess Yaegaki is one of the most important onnagata female role specialist roles and this month will be played by onnagata superstar Tamasaburo.
YUKI NO YUBE IRIYA NO AZEMICHI
(Naozamurai and Michitose)
The thief Naozamurai has been betrayed and is on the run. He risks one last meeting with his lover, the courtesan Michitose, but he has never revealed his true identity to her and as far as she knows, he is a wealthy merchant. On a freezing, snow-bound night, in a romantic scene accompanied by the lush and erotic singing of Kiyomoto narrative music, the two lovers Naozamurai and Michitose meet and part forever. Starring Kikugoro as Naozamurai and the popular young star Kikunosuke as Michitose.
HANABUSA SHUJAKU JISHI (Courtesan Lion Dance)Lion dances show a vigorous masculine spirit that is the guardian of a sacred mountain in China. But the kabuki tradition transforms this fierce dance into a showpiece for an elegant female role specialist. Fukusuke stars as a top-ranking courtesan dancing elegantly in a banquet parlor who is then transformed into a feminine version of the spirit of the lion.


Personally I enjoyed the last performance the most. (Hanabusa Shujaku Jishi) because it didn't involve any dialouge and I could enjoy listening to the music, watching the dance and listening to my english earphone on all the symbolism between the the stage, costume, music and movements. It was increadibly beautiful to watch the transformation of the courtesan into the Budhist lion diety.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sama Otsukare!!

Sama お疲れさまですした! 韓国の文化おしえてくれて감사합니다!! Nos vemos en cualquier parte del world!👋💫 Wait for the last Sama blog very soon!  サマのラストーのブログ待って下さい!!👐 Sama,いってらっしゃい!

Maddie- ごちそうさま - Eating Well

ごちそうさま - Eating Well Signs advertising  shirasu , tiny fish famous in Kamakura Today I would like to discuss a topic that is near and dear to my heart...food culture. It`s well known among my friends and family--and heck, probably anyone that I`ve had a substantial conversation with--I absolutely LOVE food. I love cooking, I love eating, I love talking about food, and I love talking about food WHILE eating food...It`s a subject that I never tire of! So naturally, it makes sense that I would hold interest in Japan`s food culture. When I came back in August, I brought with me a desire to taste and learn. Not only did I hope to sample a wide variety of Japanese cuisine, but also to try my own hand at preparing a variety of dishes. Part of the requirements for my visa is some sort of cultural learning. For this reason, American interns are expected to select an aspect of Japanese culture to study. Naturally, I had selected food. In order to fulfill this requirement, I ...

Stephanie-こんにちは!Konnichiwa! Hello!

こんにちは!Konnichiwa! Hello! My host sister Asuka and I in 小えど, Japan Hi everyone!  My name is Stephanie, but in Japan I've already been given the nickname  Su-chan  す-ちゃん    (su from Stephanie since the Japanese pronunciation is su-teh-fah-nee, and -chan is added to the end of a name when you are speaking to a younger person or a friend), so you can call me Su-chan! I am one of the five Hippo interns working in the LEX headquarters office in Tokyo this year. In addition to me, from Wisconsin, the intern team is made up of Tino from Mexico, Sakun and Ken Ken from China, and Hiu-chan from Korea. It's great to have such an international group!    Before coming to Japan I attended the University of Wisconsin and graduated with a degree in fine art. During that time I also worked for Wisconsin 4-H International Programs, which is how I first learned about Hippo through the 4-H/Hippo summer and yearlong exchanges. Last summer I had the opportun...