Skip to main content

Catherine-Setsubun

Snowy Setsubun

Yesterday it snowed in Tokyo! What a treat to wake up and see white outside the window. My first impulse was to run and ask "Is school cancelled yet?!" My host brother and I had a snowball fight and built a snowman, (which we named Yukidaruma-san).

By evening most of the snow had turned to slush. My host family and I decided to brave the cold and go to the temple for the Setsubun holiday. We threw soybeans off the balcony, yelling "Fuku wa uchi, oni wa soto!" ("Good luck in, devil out!") We also performed the same ritual at home with my host dad, who was lucky enough to get to wear the oni (devil) costume while we threw soybeans at him. For dinner we ate makizushi, which is traditional for the holiday. We ate in silence while facing the SE (the lucky direction for this year). I asked my host family how this "lucky direction" is determined. They weren't sure so we looked it up online. Apparently, it is determined by the zodiac sign for the year. We all learned something new!





About Setsubun:
Setsubun is celebrated yearly on or around February 3. The day before the lunar New Year, Setsubun is considered to be like a "New Year's Eve." On this day, all across Japan people cast out the evil spirits from their home by performing mamemaki, soy bean throwing. The same ritual is also performed at Shinto Shrines and Buddhist temples.

Facts about Setsubun were taken from Wikipedia.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sama Otsukare!!

Sama お疲れさまですした! 韓国の文化おしえてくれて감사합니다!! Nos vemos en cualquier parte del world!👋💫 Wait for the last Sama blog very soon!  サマのラストーのブログ待って下さい!!👐 Sama,いってらっしゃい!

Hayley- Quick Update

Quick update Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers; this afternoon I made it back to my host family's house. Getting ready to head to bed after a very long day (didn't go to bed last night, but managed to get a 3 hour nap this morning).  

Maddie- ごちそうさま - Eating Well

ごちそうさま - Eating Well Signs advertising  shirasu , tiny fish famous in Kamakura Today I would like to discuss a topic that is near and dear to my heart...food culture. It`s well known among my friends and family--and heck, probably anyone that I`ve had a substantial conversation with--I absolutely LOVE food. I love cooking, I love eating, I love talking about food, and I love talking about food WHILE eating food...It`s a subject that I never tire of! So naturally, it makes sense that I would hold interest in Japan`s food culture. When I came back in August, I brought with me a desire to taste and learn. Not only did I hope to sample a wide variety of Japanese cuisine, but also to try my own hand at preparing a variety of dishes. Part of the requirements for my visa is some sort of cultural learning. For this reason, American interns are expected to select an aspect of Japanese culture to study. Naturally, I had selected food. In order to fulfill this requirement, I ...