Skip to main content

Catherine- Culture

Culture From a Child's View

Giving school cultural presentations ("kokurika") is one of the best parts of my job. The kids are always so full of energy, and eager to learn! At a typical "kokurika," we share some multilingual songs and games, and then guests from around the world talk a little bit about their country's culture. I have to admit, though, it is a little bit intimidating. To think that I, a small-town Minnesota girl, am responsible for representing the 300 million+ people in the United States is unfathomable! Nevertheless, it is exciting and interesting. Although I come as a presenter, I think I learn as much as the students!

One thing I am always surprised by is the cultural details that the kids are so interested in. No matter what I talk about--Halloween, breakfast foods, typical grade school life in America--they choose the funniest things to remember. Some of my favorite questions have included, "What type of video games do you have in America?", "Is everyone as tall as you?", and "What is the biggest hamburger you have ever seen?" Without fail, whenever I show a picture of my family's famous Christmas dinner of Swedish meatballs and wild rice, at least one student thinks it is a picture of Takoyaki (fried octopus balls) and nori (seaweed)! They don't seem to realize that these foods are particularly Japanese, and are shocked to learn that my family doesn't eat octopus or seaweed on a regular basis! Every week I am reminded of children's innocence and wonder as I view both American and Japanese culture through their eyes.

My new 5th grade friends at an elementary school cultural presentation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sama Otsukare!!

Sama お疲れさまですした! 韓国の文化おしえてくれて감사합니다!! Nos vemos en cualquier parte del world!👋💫 Wait for the last Sama blog very soon!  サマのラストーのブログ待って下さい!!👐 Sama,いってらっしゃい!

Hayley- Quick Update

Quick update Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers; this afternoon I made it back to my host family's house. Getting ready to head to bed after a very long day (didn't go to bed last night, but managed to get a 3 hour nap this morning).  

Maddie- ごちそうさま - Eating Well

ごちそうさま - Eating Well Signs advertising  shirasu , tiny fish famous in Kamakura Today I would like to discuss a topic that is near and dear to my heart...food culture. It`s well known among my friends and family--and heck, probably anyone that I`ve had a substantial conversation with--I absolutely LOVE food. I love cooking, I love eating, I love talking about food, and I love talking about food WHILE eating food...It`s a subject that I never tire of! So naturally, it makes sense that I would hold interest in Japan`s food culture. When I came back in August, I brought with me a desire to taste and learn. Not only did I hope to sample a wide variety of Japanese cuisine, but also to try my own hand at preparing a variety of dishes. Part of the requirements for my visa is some sort of cultural learning. For this reason, American interns are expected to select an aspect of Japanese culture to study. Naturally, I had selected food. In order to fulfill this requirement, I ...