Skip to main content

Danielle- Snow Camp!

Snow Camp


Hello, all! Just came back from a major camp up north Japan in a place called Iiyama, Nagano. Needless to say, I had a BLAST in the snow that I missed out on this year (it doesn't snow in Tokyo like it does back in Chicago). And since - predictably - I took a ton of photos, I'll let the pictures kind of speak for themselves. :)

There were over 600 people who attended, and we were all separated into groups. Each group stayed in its own "minshuku" or lodge and all shared rooms.


Within our groups, we had all sorts of events and little adventures we went on. Such as...

taking a bus to get around the lovely snow town that is Iiyama...


meeting everyone else from Hippo family club at a massive lodge...


later having a snow sculpture contest...


sledding...


snowshoeing...


making/eating our own ice cream...


making these cute little candles and also setting a few up in our gigantic igloo we made...


lighting our own torch using friction, wood, and lots of manpower...


and meeting all the other groups for one big finale! Look at all those people!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sama Otsukare!!

Sama お疲れさまですした! 韓国の文化おしえてくれて감사합니다!! Nos vemos en cualquier parte del world!👋💫 Wait for the last Sama blog very soon!  サマのラストーのブログ待って下さい!!👐 Sama,いってらっしゃい!

Maddie- ごちそうさま - Eating Well

ごちそうさま - Eating Well Signs advertising  shirasu , tiny fish famous in Kamakura Today I would like to discuss a topic that is near and dear to my heart...food culture. It`s well known among my friends and family--and heck, probably anyone that I`ve had a substantial conversation with--I absolutely LOVE food. I love cooking, I love eating, I love talking about food, and I love talking about food WHILE eating food...It`s a subject that I never tire of! So naturally, it makes sense that I would hold interest in Japan`s food culture. When I came back in August, I brought with me a desire to taste and learn. Not only did I hope to sample a wide variety of Japanese cuisine, but also to try my own hand at preparing a variety of dishes. Part of the requirements for my visa is some sort of cultural learning. For this reason, American interns are expected to select an aspect of Japanese culture to study. Naturally, I had selected food. In order to fulfill this requirement, I ...

Stephanie-こんにちは!Konnichiwa! Hello!

こんにちは!Konnichiwa! Hello! My host sister Asuka and I in 小えど, Japan Hi everyone!  My name is Stephanie, but in Japan I've already been given the nickname  Su-chan  す-ちゃん    (su from Stephanie since the Japanese pronunciation is su-teh-fah-nee, and -chan is added to the end of a name when you are speaking to a younger person or a friend), so you can call me Su-chan! I am one of the five Hippo interns working in the LEX headquarters office in Tokyo this year. In addition to me, from Wisconsin, the intern team is made up of Tino from Mexico, Sakun and Ken Ken from China, and Hiu-chan from Korea. It's great to have such an international group!    Before coming to Japan I attended the University of Wisconsin and graduated with a degree in fine art. During that time I also worked for Wisconsin 4-H International Programs, which is how I first learned about Hippo through the 4-H/Hippo summer and yearlong exchanges. Last summer I had the opportun...